lymphoma

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

lymphoma

Post by ChowLady »

Took our beautiful boy Kostya to the vets this morning as I found a large lump under his jaw, the vet told me that he has lymphoma. Kostya has lost a lot of weight aslo. I have had him back and forwards to the vet as he kept having infections. I knew there was more wrong with Kostya than just infections in his bladder and kidneys. My Question is has anyone had a chow with lymphoma? If so how long did it take before their quality of life went and they had pain? At the moment Kostya is eating and showing no signs of any pain.
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: lymphoma

Post by maikinda »

I'm very sorry to hear that Kostya has lymphoma. There are different kinds of lymphoma, I lost a boy to Epitheliotropic T-cell lymphoma. I have had 2 dogs with cancer and both lived longer than expected. I joined a group CanineCancer@yahoogroups.com and got some great information. Many of the dogs surprised their vets by living much longer than was expected. I think Chows tolerate a lot of pain so you need to be aware of changes in Kostya and let your vet know. Things like not eating or wanting to go out. There is a lot of information on the internet about cancer and I highly recommend the canine cancer group. There are treatments you can consider.

If I can be of help, please let met know.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
Cheesie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cheesie »

I'm sorry to hear that. My chow mix dog was diagnosed with lymphoma 8 months prior to him dying from it. He never showed any pain until the last couple weeks, mainly manifesting in an infected lymph node in his neck but once it was drained he was "fine" till the end. He only took prednisone in the last 5 months.
chow315
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow315 »

my princess died from lymphoma at 16. she had chemo radiation and everything possible. i think we got about 9 more months with her and thousands of dollars in debt.her quality of life went almost immediately. i adored this dog and still cry for her .she has been gone about 6 years.i could not let go. i think if i had it to do over again i would have loved her as fiercely as possible and kept her out of pain and not done the chemo.the chemo etc really rakes a toll. you mention the jaw area and losing weight. that was how it was with princess too. you see the lump gets bigger in that area and the dog can not eat so he loses weight and gets sicker.