29 days pregnant with spotting

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

miss_yeyah
Rank 0
Rank 0

29 days pregnant with spotting

Post by miss_yeyah »

My chow is 29 days pregnant and she started having light spots of blood 3 days ago. Whenever she pees, there is a trace of blood (tiny spots). I went to our vet to have her checked up but we were only advised to monitor her and she was given Duphaston (Dydrogesterone), 1 tablet a day for 7 days. Then today, when she peed, her urine was dark orange in color. Could it be a miscarriage?
Btw, we give her Papi OB for her multivitamins. It has folic acid, specifically, prevent neural tube defects while Moringa (malunggay) contains a significant quantities of vitamins A, B, C, calcium, iron and protein. As for her diet, we give her Holistic Recipe Puppy Lamb and Rice.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 29 days pregnant with spotting

Post by Rory's Dad »

I have no experience with pregnant females, but I will ask a few of my friends not on this board for their input.

I do have one question though...is there a reason you have a pregnant dog that is still on puppy formula? One assumption would be that she is still a pup, in which case she should not have been bred so early. If not, or actually either way, the additional proteins and such in a puppy formula could be contributing to the issue, check with your vet if they are not aware of the diet.
miss_yeyah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by miss_yeyah »

Rory's Dad wrote:I have no experience with pregnant females, but I will ask a few of my friends not on this board for their input.

I do have one question though...is there a reason you have a pregnant dog that is still on puppy formula? One assumption would be that she is still a pup, in which case she should not have been bred so early. If not, or actually either way, the additional proteins and such in a puppy formula could be contributing to the issue, check with your vet if they are not aware of the diet.

Hi Rory's Dad! Good day! Shane's already 3 years old and this is her first pregnancy. The puppy formula states that it is also good for Active/Pregnant/Lactating dogs. Here are the nutrition facts and ingredients of the formula:

Hypoallergenic Formula - ingredients typically found in other dog food such as beef, wheat, eggsetc. are common causes of skin problems. HOLISTIC RECIPE completely eliminated this problem by using lamb meal, brewers rice, and barely in their formula. This will also help improve skin coat and prevent hair loss.
Green Tea - green tea contains a substance called catechins. Catechin is suspected to prevent cancer. In addition to that, green tea is known to improove blood circulation and help fight against cell aging.

High Digestibility - using 3 different sources of carbohydrates can help reduce gastro-intestinal problems. In addition to this, HOLISTIC RECIPE combines different types of fibers and yeast that improves digestibility.

Flaxseed Meal - flaxseed provides the balanced level of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Having the correct level ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids aids in improving the skin's condition. It also promotes shinier and healthier hair/coat.

Chelated Minerals - amino acid chelated minerals can improve absorption and stability by 40%. It also provides the essential minerals needed to prevent anemia, diarrhea and loss of appetite.

Yucca Extract - Yucca plant extract is added to minimize fecal odor and joint problems.

INGREDIENTS: Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (a Source of Vitemin E) and Citric Acid), Beef Pulp, Natural Flavors, Brewers Yeast, Flax Seed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Proteinated Mineral (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Protienate, Copper Protienate, Manganese Protienate), Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Pantonthenic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Biotin, Viamin B12 Supplement), DL Methionine, Lysine, Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Green Tea Extract, Tryptophan, Calcium lodate, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Thanks for clearing that up. Glad we don't have a 6 month old mom out there.

I myself alternate between Earthborn Holistic Great Plains formula and the Nutro Large Breed Lamb and Rice Mix, here is the ingredient list for the holistic:

Bison Meal, Peas, Pea Protein, Tapioca, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed, Lamb Meal, Pea Fiber, Natural Flavors, Blueberry Fiber, Cranberry Fiber, Apples, Blueberries, Carrots, Spinach, Cranberries, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Salt, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Yucca Schidgera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product.

They list the carb content at 25%. I supplement the holistic with Glucosimine tablets, but its already added to the Nutro.

Fortunately, my dogs have no issues switching between the two as they are both fairly tolerable.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Have you had her urine checked? Could the blood be coming from the bladder? Just a thought.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 5923 times