EMERGENCY

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ccmdlp
Rank 0
Rank 0

EMERGENCY

Post by Ccmdlp »

Hey folks

I have a 11 year old Chow- called Tiger... The last six months his health has been taking a turn for the worst and he has been in and out of the vet. First he was treated for a flu, and then a weak later for osteoporosis, and so the treatments went. At last the vet said that he fears that Tiger is heading for the worst, and said they usually don't live to be older than 15 years of age and usually die of organ failure, but I managed to pull him through his worst!!! Now for the last couple of days I've been keeping an eye on him, noticing he is struggling to urinate.... and when he does, sometimes it has traces of blood in! This afternoon I went walking on the patio, when I saw thick traces of blood, and it looked like a worm so I got all the dogs deworming stuff, when by supper time, Tiger eats inside. I noticed its him bleeding, and I checked it, it is from his genitals.[b] Please help, his eyes still live, nose is wet, tongue still fine, gums still pink and eating and drinking as normal. [/b]
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: EMERGENCY

Post by maikinda »

Tiger could have a urinary infection or possibly stones. He needs to be seen by the vet as soon as possible. Try to catch a fresh urine sample just before you leave for the vet. Watch as he urinates also and see if he has a strong stream. If he is not on filtered water start giving him only filtered water. Keep his bowl fresh to encourage his to drink as much as possible. Keep an eye on his temperature until you get him to the vet. With his age the sooner the vet sees him the better.

Hope Tiger is feeling better soon!

Laura
Attachments
Ricky 13_opt.jpg
Ricky 13_opt.jpg (59.7 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
Ccmdlp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ccmdlp »

Laura- thank you so much for the reply, from what i have noticed is that he is excessively drinkin fluids, i give him some milk in te morning and the water during the day, there is a stream but he really battles to get it out! Should i keep him inside the house and let him out when he wants to urinate or poop, cause he is well house trained?

Thank you again.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I would keep him where you can keep a close eye on him. If you have not had a complete blood panel done on him in the last year I would have that done when you see the vet. Your vet will probably suggest it. I always have a complete blood panel done on my seniors when they have their yearly checkup. I would give only filtered water and change his bowl often. Hope you can get him to the vet tomorrow, he really should be seen as soon as possible.

Laura
Attachments
Ricky 13_opt.jpg
Ricky 13_opt.jpg (59.7 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Ccmdlp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ccmdlp »

Thank you Laura will get him to the vet asap!