Finicky eater

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Finicky eater

Post by TyChowgirl »

So when I got my first chow Tiberius, he free fed when he chose because he was kind of like my cats. A little finicky. But no big deal. Now I have Elsa who has been goofy with her food from the start. I finally thought I had her normal... But then now she doesn't want to eat. It's like she distracts herself from eating. She should be eating about three cups of puppy food a day, but has been barely eating one some days. Now when I took her to the vet months ago he said he likes his puppies a little on the chubbier side while they're growing just to make sure they're getting enough. If she was a full grown dog she would be ideal. However she's gotten a lot longer and a little taller, making her way skinny and with the sudden finicky ness I worry a little. For the past two nights mixed in a couple spoonfuls of wet food just to make sure. Is she just being stubborn? Is it normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Finicky eater

Post by TyChowgirl »

Additional info. She's about 8 months now and getting spayed on the 1st. She's gone through her first heat cycle and she's only 35 lbs. she has not put on any additional puppy weight for almost a month

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Finicky eater

Post by TyChowgirl »

She is the longer and bigger of the two.

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Finicky eater

Post by Rory's Dad »

If she is eating, I wouldn't worry too much. Dogs have different needs as far as that goes. Looks like she is on the athletic side of Chow builds anyway.

I would just make sure food is available. If she doesn't ignore it completely, then she is likely taking what she needs. At 8 months her weight is not outside the norm, and heat cycles affect their food intake to some degree. A neutral heat (no activity) can effect her. If she were with a litter or having a false preg, then she would definitely eat differently.

Personally, I feel the content is more important than volume at puppy age. Make sure the protein content is high enough to support bone growth. I also work to ensure a dairy content for fur health, and additives for joints and eyes.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Finicky eater

Post by TyChowgirl »

She is definitely more athletic. I let food down while I can watch or they'll try to eat each other's food lol. They are both on TOTW (she's on the puppy formula) and I forgot to add that I also put salmon oil on their food too

Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

She looks perfectly healthy to me. Cocoa was a picky eater as a puppy too and would leave her food alone all the time. Now she rarely misses a meal and is a fiend for treats. I wouldn't worry.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

With more than one dog, I separate for dinner so they don't compete. I allow breakfast together so it's not competitive. Just finding a balance. Since I alternate who goes out first after each meal, I have found that Amber will just walk away when done. If she is the one going out 1st, Rory will inspect her bowl and make sure she finished. Again, though, its not invasive so there is no hard feelings.