Chow Chow Body always Hot

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kahlua
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Chow Body always Hot

Post by Kahlua »

Hello my fellow chow chow owners,

I have a problem that I'm hoping other chow chow owners have experienced with their chow chows.

My Chow puppy of 5 months is always chewing on himself (mostly front/hind paws). I see red spots all over his body (when I'm bathing him and he's wet)... And his body temperature seems to always be crazy hot. He eats, poops, and plays normal. I've taken him to the vet several times, but they say he is very healthy. But for some reason, every time I pet him his body is SOOO HOT! Is this normal for chow chows? Could the hot body temperature be causing the red bumps on his skin? What should I do?

(And I have to mention, it is summer here and pretty warm.... around 75-80 F, but I always have a fan blowing on him or in the room)

Help!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow Chow Body always Hot

Post by Laura »

Well I would first suggest that you find a new vet. If your pup is chewing himself and has red spots on his body then why is your vet telling you he is totally healthy? It is possible that it is only allergies or hot spots but regardless of what it is you need to get to the bottom of it to help your lil guy and you need a vet willing and knowledgeable to help you.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow Chow Body always Hot

Post by Rory's Dad »

1st off, understand that the normal body temperature for your dog is somewhere around 101 degrees, so it's going to be normal for him to feel warm to you.

I assume that you have heard those red spots called Hot Spots, and are associating the two. Actually not related though. Hot Spots are most likely an eczema type condition. Caused by bacteria and are a skin infection. At 5 months, he could be biting out of boredom. If he breaks the skin, then the enzymes in his mouth will cause and infection. Becomes a vicious cycle. Your chow should easily be able to withstand 75 degree temperatures. Blowing a fan on him may actually be instigating show chewing as he chases that phantom itch (my opinion,, not scientific).

I would prefer to see some pics. Red spots all over might indicate a mite or flea issue. Just a quick question for you, at 5 months how often are you bathing him. The heat you describe is not extreme and over-bathing could be drying out his skin. Finally, consider allergies...nature allergies (grass) or food allergies can frequently cause skin issues. Make sure to be feeding a high quality food. Look for something that doesn't have a lot of grain or fillers.

As Laura noted, if your vet has seen the dog with this skin issues and declared him healthy, you need a new vet.