Recurring front leg injury..

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jodiandblue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Recurring front leg injury..

Post by jodiandblue »

My 4 month pup has had a front leg sprain/injury that comes and goes. Recently it seems to have gotten worse, especially when he is walking on wooden floors. The one leg keeps sliding and almost giving out now. I'm now trying out a gripped paw sock on his leg to help with the slipping, until his vet appointment . Just curious if anyone has run into this issue and how they may have resolved it?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Recurring front leg injury..

Post by Rory's Dad »

The chow structure lends itself to these types of injuries. The legs are straighter than in your average dog and the wood floors tend to cause slips and pulls.

The good news is that these are usually minor injuries...a pull or a twist in most cases. I would advise a few things though...avoid letting him on the furniture. As he ages and becomes more protective he will launch from the couch to get to the door and will hit the floor with no traction.

Use a glucosamin supplement. It helps lubricate the knee and hip joints. Both my male and female suffered joint injuries as pups. The supplement helps to keep any of that stiffness at bay.

They get more durable as they age. Chow pups seem so solid that we don't think of it often, but at 4 months your pup hasn't come close to finishing his growth cycle. For bones, joints, cartelege and tendons, think more like 1 and 1/2 to 2 years. Until those joints tighten up, slips and falls can result in a bit of discomfort.

Keep an eye on the behavior. Limping is usually a minor issue. Walking as if he only has three legs is usually a bit more serious. Refusal to stand or walk at all is severe. My chows are really good at hamming it up for extra attention. Once they realize they get special treatment for a mis-step, they play it up.