Heartworm prevention

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Keemakah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Heartworm prevention

Post by Keemakah »

My 2 year old Chow Chow has been on Trifexis. I have heard about issues with this medicine and am concerned. I have an appointment with my Vet to discuss alternative heartworm prevention. Has an one experienced an difficulties with Trifexis or any other heartworm prevention?

Max
Last edited by Keemakah on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chow315

Re: Heartworm prevention

Post by chow315 »

i talked to my vet and they said it is a very good med and not to worry. that there is alot of bad press that is untrue
Keemakah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Keemakah »

Thank you for taking the time to check for me.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I don't the believe any of these products are good for our dogs. You have to weigh the advantages to using them. If you are in an area that the risk of heartworm is high, then its probably better to give it. Why give the worm and flea medicine with the heartworm if you don't have worms or fleas? I don't understand why people give medication that their dogs don't need. My dogs don't have fleas or worms but my vet sells Triflexis. I just ask for a prescription for Heartgard.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Keemakah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Keemakah »

Thank you for your reply. I live in Central Florida near the water where mosquitoes are plentiful. My chow chow lives inside, but we go for walks and the Mosquitoes get me so I know they can find there way through her fur. I lost a Lab to heartworms several years ago before prevention was popular. I have used Heartgard in the past but my Vet recommended Trifexis for my chow puppy who is now 2 years old and weighs 42 pounds. We have used it for 2 years without any know side effects, but I read on the internet about some dogs death due to what the owner's contributed to Trifexis. I have and appointment Monday with another Vet to further discuss heartworm prevention. I lost an 18 month old Keeshond when a Vet in VA over medicated him to clean his teeth. I am a very concerned parent as I love my Chow Chow so much. PS, I grew up in Grafton, WV.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Heart worm is very prevalent in the South so IMO all dogs down here should be on heart worm prevention. I use heartgard for my two because we don't have a flea/tick problem so it is all I need. I don't know anything about Trifexis but if you are concerned and you do have a flea/tick concern as well you can always try separate meds.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Keemakah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Keemakah »

Thanks for reading my post and taking the time to give me some options.