Teddy doesn't like taking pills

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

brenne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by brenne »

My chow chow is ten years old and has very bad allergies; this summer, she's lost most of the hair around her eyes from rubbing them and it's obviously causing her a lot of discomfort. The vet prescribed cephalexin; the problem is getting her to take them.

Pill pockets don't work. We've tried putting the pills in food, but when she chews the food and tastes the pills she gets wise to my scheme. We've tried putting the pills in tuna and basically dropping them down her throat; this sometimes works, but quite often it does not. This morning she dropped her head so the tuna fell to the front of her mouth and she spit them out.

Teddy also happens to be pretty smart; she knows what I am up to now. If she sees me coming with food she normally doesn't get, she knows I'm trying to get her to take pills. If only she were smart enough to realize that the pills are going to help her!

Everyone says to stick the pills in the back of her throat; that's not an option. I love my puppy, but she is cranky in her old age and I'm pretty sure I'll lose a finger.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Teddy doesn't like taking pills

Post by Rory's Dad »

Try cheese. That's what i do with my dogs. Whether it be heartworm pills or special meds. Yes, they do know what i am up to, but the cheese seems to overcome it. My female will take any sort of cheese, but my male will only do White American...good luck.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

One of mine is a picky pill taker but I have found that wrapping it inside a piece of American cheese (which you can squish together) works because he just swallows it whole. I have also crushed pills and mixed it with canned dog food or wrapped it in a piece of sandwich meat. Since she is on to you try doing it while you are eating. Set it up when she isn't looking, have it handy and give it to her as if you are giving her something off your plate or something you are eating too. They are too smart for their own good sometimes! :)
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

My chow also is a hard one to have the pill taken. Several attempts usually get us there but not before the tablet is already wet with drool and is near disintegration
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Anything like peanut butter, cottage or cream cheese. I honestly got Ty used to me open his mouth. After I do that I shove pill with my finger to the back of his mouth and to the side. He swallows, pill taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa is the same as Ty, since I have been giving her salmon oil and glucosamine supplements for the past two years she has just gotten used to having me put the pills in the back of her throat. She even comes and sits and waits for them after she eats her dinner (she gets a biscuit after the pills). I am glad that I have gotten her used to this because if she ever needs medication it shouldn't be an issue.
chow315

Post by chow315 »

i tried all those too and by accident almost lost my finger. now its mailly sausages
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

WE have different methods with the dogs; some will work on one and some will work on the other. This is the procedure that we have the best success with:

Raw hamburger. I make about 5-6 tiny balls. The pill is put in one. I toss a couple pill free balls to her and she gobbles them up, eagerly waiting for another. I then toss the one with a pill and quickly follow with another pill-free ball. This is the only method that works with my girl who spits pills out. NOTE: she must be hungry and she has to think these are rewards for doing a command for me (sit, down... etc)

She is smart and does not trust that I am giving her a treat for nothing.

My male rottie that recently passed was easy to give pills to. I either used the above mentioned method or dropped the pill in his mouth and followed with a treat when he swallowed.

Good luck... Oh I forgot to mention that NONE of my dogs like the pill pockets.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye