Please help! Skin problem

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Missiekay11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Please help! Skin problem

Post by Missiekay11 »

Hi, I am seeking help with our lovely Maddy. She is a 5yr old cream color chow chow. She has had very bad skin issues. Her under skin is very pink, she had pustules on the bridge of her nose, and other spots. Most recently she has added to these symptoms with hot spots and loss of hair. We have taken her to the veterinarian and have been prescribed antibiotics and steroids. She is still on steroids every other day. Her nose has cleared but the hot spots are worse. We have also switched her food to one with no com or wheat. Has anyone had experience with these symptoms in their chow chow. Please help?
tinchaser
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Please help! Skin problem

Post by tinchaser »

I have had the same problem with my chows. Their skin problems are a nightmare. Thankfully my Simba doesn't have as much of a problem as my Bella. She has been on antibiotics & steroids for months. For their food they get Blue dryfood & the raw frozen meat medallions from Pet Supplies Plus (I think the brand is Nature's Variety). That doesn't seem to help. The scratching & biting is non stop. I can imagine how miserable they must be. Before the steroids & antibiotics, I tried loratidine & benadryl. That helped a little, but not enough. Plus the benadryl made them sleep all the time. My vet told me there is a new medication on the market that controls itching but without the effects of steroids. Once Bella is done with this round of steroids/antibiotics, he is going to prescribe it for her. He told me that it is very difficult to get any supply of as the drug is so new & the demand is high. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of the drug. I didn't ask about price. You might want to check w/ your vet to see if that might be something that could help your dog. I'm sorry about your dog, but I am relieved to know other chows have the same problems as mine. Good luck w/ Maddy...
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

The first thing I would do is have a biopsy done. Sometimes what looks like a hotspot can be something else. If you have changed food to see if it would help remember it may take a few months before you will see the results. Have you looked at the ingredients in your shampoo to make sure there is no fragrance in it? Even some of the oatmeal shampoos have fragrance now. Are you drying your dog completely after a bath? Are you using a flea treatment that could be irritating the skin? Are you putting anything on your carpet or yard?

Just a few ideas, Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
chow315

Post by chow315 »

there is a wonderful product non prescription by VIRBAC CALLED RESSISOOTHE LEAVE ON LOTION.you can buy it from the vet. they also have shampoo.my dog a few months ago had a really big about the size of palm of your hand really red spot on his rear. he was scratching like crazy.i washed it with cool water and then put this on it. in a couple of hours it was cleared up. and that was after putting it on 1 time