Is she the right weight for her age?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is she the right weight for her age?

Post by Bucksey9 »

Hi guys I just came back from my local vets to get her flea and deworming done. The vet weighed her and she is 10 and a half - 11 kilograms. She's 4 months old. Is this a normal healthy weight for a 4 month female chow chow? :mrgreen:

Any replies back would be appreciated :lol:
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is she the right weight for her age?

Post by DrewBear »

There is a huge range of weight for Chows. Females are generally (not always) smaller than males. Chows seem to take more time (up to 2-3 years?) to fully mature. My male pup is 15 weeks old today and weighs ~26 lbs. (nearly 12 kilos) and I think he's growing up too fast. :) I wouldn't worry about the actual weight; rather watch for overall health and a balance between height/length and weight. Although you don't want an emaciated Chow, neither do you want an obese one.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Agreed. Don't look at the actual weight number, there are way too many variables to get caught up in that. Instead, inspect the ribs and belly area. With the Chow fur in mind, you should be able to part the fur down to the skin. Are the ribs visible? You should see and feel an outline, but not too pronounced. That is ideal weight. If they are clearly visible, with separation etc, then she is too thin. If you can't find them, too heavy. Watch the underside, although some pups will carry a belly she shouldnt carry too low. Follow the chest line. If the belly doesnt carry the line, she could be carrying a few extra pounds.
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Thanks for your replies guys :mrgreen: I understand that all chows come in all different shapes and sizes. Well the vet did say she's a very good healthy weight for her age and shouldn't need to worry. I just wanted to ask on the chow forum if it was a healthy weight for my 4 month old chow girl. where I live (south of england) chows are so rare. So I wanted to ask someone who knows more about chows with their weight and everything. But I can see she's fine we feed her 4 times a day with all fresh foods, she quite spoilt actually. Haha. The vet said she has an amazing temperament and is a very friendly chow, my girl likes to say hello to everyone who walks past :mrgreen:

Anyway thanks for your comments Drewbear and Rory's dad :mrgreen: I shouldnt worry if we over feed her :lol: will look out like you said at her body rather than the scales. :mrgreen: thanks!!

Many thanks

- Rob :D