Help Not pooping for 2 days now! :(

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help Not pooping for 2 days now! :(

Post by Bucksey9 »

Hi my name is Rob just go my first chow chow puppy, shes 9 weeks old and had her for 5 days now but she hasnt been pooping for the past 2 days now! im worried :( :shock: has nayone had this problem with their chow? Im not sure she could be constipated I really have no clue! shes drinking and eating fine but when we take her out she only pees and not poops! :( maybe it because we changed her diet since we got her? we fed her the same food what the breeder said to give her for her first 2 days then after we mixed her normal food with some cooked food like turkey and fish etc and mixed in her food. was this a bad idea of me? was I meant to wait abit longer to change her diet? we really wanted to changer her diet straight away because the breeder fed her canned sardines and the dog food "Pedigree" which I heard and read that its the worse dog food EVER for dogs. it has a ingredient in the dog food which is very bad for dogs! I dont even know why they made that brand of dog food to be honest. by all the bad stuff I read about that brand of food. So yeah, does anyone recommend what I can do to make her poop? we tried mango which I hear is good for dogs and makes them "Go" but not working :( we wanted to give her prunes but we heard its bad for dogs as it can change the situation from one extreme to another causing diarrhead. Can anyone help me? :(
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Help Not pooping for 2 days now! :(

Post by Rory's Dad »

You do not want to feed your dog any fruit that has a skin. They will not digest it well.

It could be the change in food, but that usually ends up in an upset stomach with the exact opposite of what you describe.

More than likely, its the change in environment. A chow at even 8 weeks old is fairly regimented on where to go. She is probably unsure of her new home and doesnt want to make a 'mistake'.

Other than that i would be concerned that she ingested something that is blocking her. If she still hasnt gone, then she should see a vet.
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Are you sure she hasn't pooped in some corner of the backyard or behind furniture inside? Years ago I always brought my young pup to work with me. He was always good in asking to go out, but one time I told him to wait a while. I eventually took him out, but a few months later I found his tiny dried up poop in a remote corner where no one ever went. He just found the most non-"home" place he could and...well, when you gotta go, you gotta go. :)
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Oh right okay so not much fruit then? because all fruits have skin :S.. the only fruit I cant think of that doesnt have skin is strawberries would be okay? will probably not give her mango anymore, best idea?

she pooped early this morning THANKGOD.. hope she starts pooping everyday from now on.she got me so worried their :shock:

We bought her some baby food because my aunty told me she fed her chow baby food when she was a pup. but now I have read babyfood is not suitable for puppies as it contains "onion" in them which is bad for them.

we want to move her away as far away as that food she eat with the breeder. we want her to give her the best food possible for her early stage of growing. by cooking her fresh food like fresh turkey, fish, chicken etc read that red meat is BAD for chows. so wont be giving her any read meat only sometimes and I mean not regularly.

Thanks for your comments peeps! :D :D :) xxxxx
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I probably wasnt clear enough on the fruit thing...

Not all fruits have skin so to speak, for example mango has a rind. same with oranges, grapefruit, etc. Not saying they are suitable, but just that they are not skinned fruits. Thinking on that for a moment, imagine the chow face with a grapefruit, lemon, or lime. All great add ons to my vodka or gin drink, but a bit tart for the chow palate.

Apples are skinned, but that can pretty easily be removed. Clearly a peeled banana. Grapes are a definite no-no unless you peel the skin. Personally, i'm not going to that much effort for a 2 second treat.
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Oh right okay, she likes mango but not too sure on banana yet! /:) I heard also that seeds that grapes have inside them are bad for dogs too. yes mee too. but it is sometines nice to give them some fruit at times.

She really likes these chewy sticks we bought her from our local grocery store. and she really enjoys them :mrgreen: will start giving her them as treats! :D I think their her favourite edible stuff we give her ;P xxxxxx