Help! Entropion!!!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help! Entropion!!!

Post by Bucksey9 »

Hello their, I just got my first ever dog and shes a kc registered red chow chow. shes 9 weeks old. we had to travel 4 hours to get her, (2 hours their and 2 hours back) and on her way back the car was shaking abit on the roads and she was sick in the car after about 40 mins in the car poor little girl. we made an appointment to the vet the next day to get her vaccinated . so we took her the vet the next day after we got her and the vet said she had a slight tempreture so she couldnt vaccinate her that day unfortunately. instead the vet gave her anitbiotics for her slight tempreture. the vet checke her heart over etc that was all fine. then she checked kiki's eyes and her left eye we were told had a eye infection called 'Entropion' is a medical condition in which the eyelid (usually the lower lid) folds inward which causes discomfort and irratation to the eye causing watery eyes. I feel quite worried she says it could lead to surgery but some grow out of it when her face grow more outwards. so she can grow out of the condition. she says we can also help by rubbing her bottom eye lid down gently everyday for 2-3 tips and about a few rubs each time. but the trouble is shes still such a young pup and when we try and clean her eyes and rub her bottom eye lid downwards gently she would not let us. shes very difficult. were trying to help her but she wont let us most of the time. does anyone have any tips for this problem who can help please? has anyone got a chow chow who had the same condition? any help or tips I would really really appreciate it!!! its quite stressing at its my first dog.

Many thanks - Rob
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help! Entropion!!!

Post by maikinda »

It is not uncommon to see entropian in a Chow. Sometimes it does clear up on its own if not when your puppy is older it will have to have surgery. Try holding your puppy and letting it chew on a bone while you massage the lid. Ask the vet about putting a lubricant like "Puralube" in to relieve any irritation. Anytime I do eye ointment I make sure there is a treat waiting as soon as it is in. Most Chows will do anything for food! :) I always keep Puralube incase one of mine has an eye problem. When the eye is irritated for an extended period it will pull back in the socket and that will allow the eyelid to roll. http://www.ehow.com/about_6608839_entro ... -dogs.html

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8740 times
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Thanks so much for your time to reply to me, I am very grateful! :D I really do hope it does clear up on its own. so if I pick her up do you think she wouldnt be so difficult when I try to clean her eye and rub her bottom eyelid gently to help the Entropion? I will try later today, she sleeping now. I notice she loves mango! maybe if i give her bits of small mango one at a time she would let me clean her eye and rub it. I was just wondering can you tell me what do you use to clean your chows eyes? and how often? I heard warm cotton wool, but some people say a warm cloth? dont know which is best! :S because we bought her some treats for when shes a good girl. but we just realised their for 3+ months old puppies and shes only 9 weeks! their abit too big for her so will try use mango as she likes that fruit! :) I have an appointment to the vet tommorow so will ask about the lubricant "puralube" thanks alot for helping me out with these tips Im very grateful!! :D Im new to this chow chow forum and already love it! their some really nice people on here :D. I just saw the link you gave me about Entropion and it says it can pass from their mother to their siblings the condition, but I spoke to the breeder and he said mum and dad didnt have or dont have entropion nor do her other siblings in that litter had any trouble with their eyes yet. So I dont know! :( :( she bites her back leg sometimes not sure if its on both legs or not but she bites it about 5 times a day maybe more maybe less, is this normal? did your chows do this? and she also shakes alot sometimes in her sleep like shes having a seizure but I think its just normal shes just dreaming the breeder says. I hope she gets better soon! and one more question is it normal for chows to have warm wet noses? its not runny or anything now but was on her first few days in her new home.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

My chow at 9wks was told the same thing, she out grew it but we did put ointment in her eye while it was irritating to her . Try when she seems tired to do it , there might not be so much energy in her then and have something to distract her if you need to. Hope shes doing better.. keep us posted.
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Oh really so should I worry about it do you think? so you didnt rub her bottom eyelid to help the Entropion out? I would like to ask you what ointment did you use for your puppy chow? was it "Puralube" the same ointment as what Maikinda suggested or different ointment? does it have to be a dog ointment? or can I use a human eye ointment or would it be harmful for her? Thanks for your comment and for your tips! I just tried cleaning her eye, I picked her up while my mum try to clean her eye. we cleaned a little bit, will rub her bottom eyelid gently downwards later on when shes a little sleep and have less energy like you said. thanks for your tips. so how old is your chow now? our little girl like I said is 9 weeks old and shes a red/dark cinamon colour! do your know or does anyone know how I can upload a profile picture on my account like you have done? :).

p.s sure will keep you posted, will let you know thursday after whe she comes back from the vets, thanks for your concern. I dont feel like Im on my own here :). Thanks so much!! xxxxx
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Also A REALLY BIG QUESTION what types of lead is suitable for chow chows? the breeder who we got kiki from said a leather lead would be fine. but my auntie had a chow chow and she used a harness lead on her. her chow chow wasn't so scared when my auntie used a harness lead as much as she use a normal lead on her. so my auntie used the harness lead to walk her chow. what walking lead do you recommend? if anyone can answer this I would be truly grateful!! :D :D Thanks alot xxxxx
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

I like the harness type leads the best. Much easier on them and doesn't cause choking, or messes with their beautiful fur. Also, they tend to pull less. As she gets older and stronger I switched to a harness called easy walk or gentle lead. This helps with the pulling.

As far as treats go just give her a little of something that she really really likes that gets her attention. It can be soft training treats. For example Blue buffalo has training treats called blue bits, they're small and soft, or something as simple as a small piece of cheese. Just something that gets her attention.

Hope this helps.
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

thanks for the reply, will get a harness lead for her I have decided as so many people say its best for chows including my aunty. I think the harness is best for this breed so it wont slide off like people say INCLUDING my aunty who also had a chow.

Okay will try some cheese see if she likes that. she likes mango but thats quite expensive so wont be able to buy it all the time. need something that I can give her treats quite often on a daily bases so maybe cheese might be a good idea. yeah something that gives her attention we try and give her all sorta of different things. normally cook her turkey breast mixed with rice and her dog food, mix with warm water and mix it all in a bowl.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Trying when she is tired is a good idea, either on your lap or on the floor. Puralube is a sterile White petrolatum, light mineral oil ointment. There are other brands but most are more expensive. Make sure your vet approves anything you put in your dogs eyes. I just gently pat my chows eyes with a clean cloth after I put ointment in if necessary.

Don't worry about her nose or a little shake when sleeping. If she is eating, playing, and going to the potty ok everything should be alright.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8718 times
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

I just tried and a little success!! :D picked her up and gave her bits of small cheese in between when cleaning her eyes. like say I gave ger abit of cheese before I try an attempt to clean her eyes then she lets me clean her eyes without no where near as much struggle as before, then when I done that and shes been a good girl, I gave her another bit of cheese and the cycle continues. so give her cheese then clean her eye, give her cheese, then clean her eye etc etc. so I hope this will be alright from now on and even managed to rub her bottom eye lid too then OFCOURSE give her some cheese after that :D.. hope this is alright from now on. thanks so much for all of your replies and I hope things get easier from now on.

And thanks for your latest reply laura! really appreciate it! thanks for your concern :) hopefully the trip to the vet tommorow should be alright, will keep you guys posted. :D

ONCE AGAIN THANKYOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR CONCERNS! Your all lovely helpful people :) god bless you all. :D xxxxxx
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

The ointment I used was an antibiotic ointment from the vet. Always check with the Vet before putting anything in your chows eyes. Good luck with your appt.
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Hi guys just been to the vet and everything was okay, she was at a healthy weight had a little tempreture still but not as much as before, the vet said its normal for puppies though so got her first vaccination done :D.. we were concerned about if Kiki's nails, if they needed clipping because they looked abit on the long side. so the vet checked and clipped abit on all paws but cut on of her nails too much (the back paw) so it started bleeding poor girl started crying :( but hopefully it will be alright vet cleaned the wound up with tissue and a special stick with cotton or something on the end of it so it stopped bleading! But I hope Kiki doesnt remember that vet appointment when shes older, otherwise she will hate the vet :( but she was a very good girl, didnt make a single noise when the vet injected the vaccination! also gave a special cream on her neck (had to move alot of fur out the way to get down to the neck because of the thick chow fur) but anyway the cream goes inside the skin and goes everywhere inside the body for anti fleas and ticks. :D :D
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

what the vet said about "puralube"

Post by Bucksey9 »

Oops I almost forgot to say what the vet said about Puralube when I asked today. She said it could make the eyes more watery (like a waterfall she told me) which will make eye leak more, she said any ointment including "Puralube is good for eyes which are more on the dry side. so our vet said its best to just leave it and do its own thing. She actually did check Kiki's eyes and she said her eyes haven improven from the Entropion which is very good news! :) fingers crossed :D will keep you posted how well her Entropion goes.

Much love xxx
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Entropion is a condition where the eyelid is turned into the eye itself. The lashes brush across the eyeball and create an irritation. If severe enough and left untreated, the eye will actually be scratched leading to abrasions. In extreme cases they can develop into lacerations and ulcers.

It is a genetic likelihood, but not a certainty. Chows with parents who are prone to Entropion are more likely to develop the condition. Just the same, dogs with not history of it in their lineage can have symptons. Testing for Entropion is highly encouraged prior to breeding any Chow pairing.

To accurately test for damage to the eye, a vet should utilize a dye and UV test. This would make any scratching or eye damage visible. Entropion is a VERY common diagnosis in Chows...its the easy call. A simple bacterial infection could easily be the cause of excessive tearing without proper testing.

Unless prescribed with an anti-biotic eye drop, most OTC drops are designed to provide additional lubrication. This can assist with preventing any minor damage in pups that have minimal lens irritation. Picture your chow puppies face structure and then consider how the growth plates work. As the muzzle grows ourward, they eyelids will also change direction. Many chow pups that experience lid irritation outgrow the condition as they mature. Think long and hard about any recommended Entropion surgery before your dog is at least a year old. Obviously severe cases need to be dealt with in a timely manner to avoid potential blindness.

Should the surgery be needed, its a fairly minor procedure. Usually a staple tuck to pull the eyelid away from the eye itself. The healing process produces a small scar area that creates the needed separation.
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Thanks for the helpful info, RD. I've filed it away for future reference.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011