Chewing Front Legs--Anxiety, Allergies?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chewing Front Legs--Anxiety, Allergies?

Post by CocoLeBear »

Hi all--hoping to get a little problem solving here... I've had Coco about 10 months. When I first got her from the SPCA, she had some bare spots on her front legs. At the same time, she had untreated food allergies that affected her skin/ itchiness. It all cleared up.

She is allergic to beef and chicken. She gets fish food, no corn, beef, chicken. I rotate between Iams Sensitive Naturals Fish and Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon. She only gets fish jerky treats and I check anything she eats for allergic items. She also gets skin/coat oil as a supplement.

Long story short, in the last month Coco has developed bald/almost bald patches on her front legs (not paws). I can't imagine it is allergies/food related since nothing has changed since I've gotten her. Her coat is great.

She is fed am and pm with am and pm walks, which range from 20-40 mins. On the weekends she tags along with me wherever I go (as well has after work during the week). She has a variety of toys including nylabones and antlers. She gets dental chews and pig ears almost every day ( no allergic materials), as well as the occasional kong with peanut butter.

Do you think this could just be anxiety? She is an anxious dog in general. Sometimes, she'll be playing with a great toy and get distracted and start chewing. I leave her things to play with when I go to work but she ignores them until I come home.

Any ideas of stuff to try? I have some bitter spray and I was thinking about some Benedryl to try. I appreciate your ideals!!
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chewing Front Legs--Anxiety, Allergies?

Post by gluesticks »

Assuming you've cancelled out any parasite possibilities, environmental stressors, and bacterial infections, it could just be a tick; a redirected form of anxiety and/or excitement, boredom. In any case, assuming no medical problem, it may be something you cannot avoid: a nervous tick of some kind. Re-directive training can assist with this.

Is she just chewing on the front legs? One leg in particular? Or are all of the legs free game?

Also, have you ruled out grain allergies? which includes wheat, rice, etc. And because you are already aware that she has allergy problems, I would suggest keeping her diet as consistent as possible. Maybe feed her the Blue LID only instead of switching between the two brands. IAMS is not very reputable anyway, and contains outsourced materials (not made in the USA).

Keep in mind too that allergies to a particular food can come and go, and/or be created later in life.

Benedryl is also safe to use. I've personally used it on my chow chow, Louie, when he began chewing and licking his left paw raw. It seemed to help out a lot (I used the 25mg pink pills from Walmart twice a day).

Hope this helps some,

Glue