Flea Allergy? Help?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flea Allergy? Help?

Post by CocoLeBear »

I am having the worst problem with my Coco. She is allergic to fleas, and I haven't any idea where she might get bitten. She is on flea/tick medication, gets Capstar when I notice her super itch, and, I live in the city so she is only walked on the sidewalk and in some grass and my house has all hardwood. I've never seen a flea or any flea evidence on her. She sleeps with me, etc., and I brush her every day. She recently had a severe allergic reaction and I took her to the vet. The vet said it looked like a classic flea allergy and gave her an allergy shot (after shaving some of her fur!!). The vet looked her over quite well and couldn't find any evidence of fleas. Of course, we discussed other allergens and couldn't come up with anything.

I asked what else I could be doing about this, and the vet said I was doing everything right (food,supplements, etc.). Has this happened to anyone? I honestly haven't a clue where these fleas might be coming from? Coco isn't a fan of other dogs, so she isn't really around them close enough to get fleas. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this and what you did. I might get a flea collar to supplement her monthly flea and tick medication.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Flea Allergy? Help?

Post by maikinda »

Have you considered she might have an allergy to something else? Some dogs are allergic to the flea treatment,maybe consider asking the vet to try a different one. Could it be a food allergy? Are you putting anything on your carpet? What kind of shampoo are you using? If you and your vet can't find any evidence of fleas I would be looking for something else.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Flea Allergy? Help?

Post by Rory's Dad »

Good questions. It seems like the exposure to fleas isnt really an issue. If she is on a decent flea/tic med, and isnt around other dogs much, it seems like that wouldnt be the problem. I would look at something else.

My first recommendation would be to look at the food. What brand/formula is she on. Most supermarket store brands contain a ton of grain and filler. Read the label. A real meat source should be the 1st and 2nd listed. And not by-product.

Try experimenting a bit with food. She may like something different than other chows. Beef, Chicken, Salmon, are common preferences. Mine are currently on a Bison based product. Certainly there are other ingredients that are suitable. Corn is not one of them as a main ingredient. Avoid ALL products that are produced in China, as they still think it's OK to include lead in their foods.

Beyond that, believe it or not, they can be allergic to grass. Their could be a particular shrub type that she is sensitive to on her walks.

It doesnt seem like the flea allergy is a large concern considering the environment. I would look to something else. Food is most common, so look there first.