Parasite problem

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

eveelima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Parasite problem

Post by eveelima »

Hey guys, I'm not sure there's already a topic about it, but I'm a little worried.
When Kiara was a puppy, she almost died because of ticks (I'm not sure this is the correct name, I used google translator for this word. But I'm talking about the arachnid that parasites dogs, they're VERY numerous here in Brazil), I bought her a anti-tick collar and she remained tick-free since then. Ok, last month she started having allergy to something and I took her to the vet, that is also a shelter, therefore is always full of dogs, some of them are sick and dirty and some have fleas and ticks. When we got back home I found a tick walking through my arm. Then I found one on the wall, and now one on my bed (Kiara sleeps with me sometimes). Since chows are so flurry, I can't find any on her and she's using the anti-tick collar, I've spent too much money with her allergy, didn't wanna buy expensive stuff to get rid of ticks. Can you guys tell me if you sometimes see parasites rounding your dog but that doesn't mean they're actually infecting it?
eveelima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Parasite problem

Post by eveelima »

Nevermind, I'll find some money and buy the product for the ticks, can't let her get infected. :/
Just remembering all the blood around the house, the fever, and the doctor saying she would most probably die makes me wanna cry (this was back when she was 6 months old, now she's 2 years old and I'm very proud that she made it!). Won't risk that happening again.

Ps.: Don't know how to delete the topic, sorry :(
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Parasite problem

Post by Constantina »

Hi just saw this now. Put her on Frontline drops every 30 days. Apply on shoulder blades direct to her skin where she cannot lick it. It will be absorbed into her bloodstream and kill off ticks, fleas and their eggs. Those will be excreted through her hair and skin so fleas and ticks do not have to bite her to die.