Dakota is having eye surgery :'( advice please

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dakota is having eye surgery :'( advice please

Post by beckysmyth92 »

Hello fellow chow owners,

I took my beautiful 1 1/2 year old female chow Dakota to the vets on Thursday and the vet said she has the most gorgeous baby face, with excellent teeth, perfect coat and perfect weight... but she has entropion :'(

I booked her in for the earliest appointment to have the surgery which is on Monday! She explained it would be a simple day surgery that would be from 8.30am - 5.30/6.00pm. She is having on eye done. I asked my vet about what kind of anaesthetic she would be using as i've read a lot of heartbreaking outcomes from chows and anaesthetic :( She told me she was aware the chow was a 'quirky' breed and the surgeon would know what kind of anaesthetic to use.. I'm going to speak with the surgeon directly when I bring Dakota to him, I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on anaesthetic? Is there a particular anaesthetic I should request they use or anything?

Here in Northern Ireland chows are so rare so i'll be asking if he has ever had experience with chows, I've spoken to several other dog owners who have had the same surgery successfully with this surgeon but their dogs aren't chows, so i'm very afraid!

Thank you for reading and please give me any advice you may have!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Dakota is having eye surgery :'( advice please

Post by Juniper »

My Sheena had entropion surgery in both eyes at 3.5 years. ONLY Isofluorane gas was used, No injectable anesthesia. Reason-once you have administered the injection there is nothing the vet can do to save your chow if a reaction develops. With gas only, if a negative reaction begins to occur they can let up on the gas and pretty quickly the chow's readings are back to normal to just continue with the surgery. If one eye has entropion the other will have or get it as well. Sometimes you may need to repeat the surgery when the chow is older. Depends on how much of an eye lift they do and how early the surgery is performed.

Unfortunately, Sheena, who was a stray, had the entropion for at least 1.5 years or more and has ulcers on her eyes and reduced vision as a result. So the entropion surgery is very important to have. To this day her lashes do not scratch her eyes anymore and she is 12.5 yrs. young. Sheena came thru this surgery just fine and the sutures were dissolving sutures. Just living in the cone collar temporarily was an inconvenience for her.

Much health and may the surgery go really well.
Jennifer & Sheena
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Dakota is having eye surgery :'( advice please

Post by beckysmyth92 »

Thank you very very much Juniper.

I really appreciate your explanation and I'm glad you've told me her other eye will get it so I can prepare myself! thanks for explaining the effects of each anaesthetic, I will be asking the surgeon to use only Isofluorane gas. I am so nervous and scared! I wish I could take her place :( poor little girl!

The vet initially said we could wait 6 weeks and come back to book the surgery but I felt if she needs it done it was better to be sooner than later so there would be less chance of her developing any ulcers etc.

Im so happy that Sheena came through the surgery ok! I hope I will be telling you the same tomorrow!

Thank you