Brown Vaginal Discharge

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Xiao Xong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Brown Vaginal Discharge

Post by Xiao Xong »

My 9-year old Chow has had a brownish (sharp-smelling) vaginal(I'm guessing) discharge over the last 3 or so years - first infrequently, now it seems about once a month or every 6 weeks or so. A couple of vets have tested her for urinary tract infections, but they've come back negative, and the vets don't seem to think it's anything to worry about. She was spayed at about 6-months of age. It does seem to bother her - as she doesn't like to leave a mess on the floor or to smell badly. So she spends a great deal of effort trying to clean herself. I'm not certain that it causes any pain, but it does affect her mood somewhat. It lasts up to a week each time. I do try to clean her, and she may or may not be showing either discomfort or indignance! :) I'm concerned that it's something serious though, and wonder how this would be determined. Could it be stress-related? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Brown Vaginal Discharge

Post by maikinda »

I would be concerned too. Could you ask the vet if he could culture the discharge? If this vet can't help I would try another vet. Hope you find out whats going on.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Brown Vaginal Discharge

Post by Juniper »

My Sheena has a strong smelling female area as well which started at about 7 years old. She was spayed at 3.5 years, the age I found her. Sheena has never been able to reach her privates to clean them. That's when I began cleaning her privates with a warm wet paper towel and rubbed the area well. Sheena hasn't had a urinary tract infection since I started wiping the area with a wet paper towel. But it wasn't enough. Took her to Vet this year cause I thought the area was a little lumpy (me fearing cancer) and apparently her shedding hair was so collected around her female part the vet shaved around the area and her anus as well and told me to clean area with warm wet paper towel 2x daily. So now I just say to Sheena...come...let me clean your woo woo and she immediately stands in position. lol

Vet stated privates are not getting enough air w/all the hair she has and to make sure it is clean or an infection could ensue. On hot days after the warm water rub I give her a cool water rub. The long hair on her hind and tail still covers her privates so she's still very much a lady. lol

Hope this helps.
Jennifer & Sheena