Paw chewing. Help.

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Paw chewing. Help.

Post by gluesticks »

Louie, my 1 year old chow chow (DOG July 26, 2012), has just recently started to chew on his paws in a more frequent manner. The areas between his pads also appear to be slightly swollen and red.

Now, we did notice this red discoloration about a month ago, but thought nothing of it. He has only recently started chewing on his paws a lot (within the last week).

He has been on the Natural Balance Vegetarian and Natural Balance LID Sweet potato and Fish dry food mixture since January, and receives a quarter of a can of either 95% Turkey or Salmon Wellness wet can once a day, which he has gotten since May. The only cleaning products we use on the floor is baking soda (for the carpet) and Swifter wet pads (for the wood floors). Also, we live in NJ. It is currently Summer entering Fall, in case it has something to do with a seasonal allergy.

Can anyone offer any solutions before I consider going to the vet? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank you in advance.

-Glue
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Paw chewing. Help.

Post by Juniper »

Is Louie starting to blow his coat since fall is beginning? Hair between toes and lower limbs is where my Sheena will let me know it's time for brushing and removing spring/summer coat in prep for winter coat. Sheena will lick and lick her paws and lower limbs. I just started brushing Sheena and I'm in Sacramento where the weather is 95 F degrees still but then it goes according to the shortening of the day regardless of temperature. Chows blow coats 2x/year- spring and fall.

Also, I don't believe the 95% Turkey or Salmon includes any added vitamins at all, so Louie isn't getting his full need of vitamins. I have Sheena on By Nature organic canned food only (Turkey and Chicken) since I believe dry food is too high a protein for chows so I can't really comment on your dry food choice. I always also look to the latest change in diet/treats in the past few months for any negative changes that may be occurring presently.

Can't comment on carpet or cleaning products either since I just vacuum w/o any products added and just mop linoleum floors with soap and rinse with vinegar. Imagine there may be some chemicals added to swifter pads. Baking soda is a salt and may be irritating and drying Louie's paws.

I would probably inspect Louie's paws more carefully. Clean out excess hair and place paws in water and look w/magnifier. Don't want microbes/bacteria to start any infections. Also, brushing/combing weekly is good for the skin. I have only bathed Sheena 1 to 2x/year-brushing has been the most important in the 9.5 years I've had her-she was a rescue at 3.5 years approximately.

Much health to Louie and hope your find out the solution soon.
Jennifer & Sheena
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

I would suspect allergies or lawn chemicals (fertilizers or weed killers). This time of year there are molds on the lawns; my Chows have been licking and nibbling their paws. My lawn has no treatments applied but in the past where I use to live treatments were used. Lawn chemicals can cause inter digital cysts that continually swell and burst until the dog is removed from the area treated or snow covers the ground, then the problem goes away. Washing the paws after each outing can help if your Chow will allow it. If sores start developing from the situation your Chow has now you can try a just a little antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin) to prevent infection; don't use too much, once a day for two days then again a few days later. See Veterinarian if it gets worse. Happens every year with mine; hope yours gets better. :)
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

Juniper wrote:Is Louie starting to blow his coat since fall is beginning? Hair between toes and lower limbs is where my Sheena will let me know it's time for brushing and removing spring/summer coat in prep for winter coat. Sheena will lick and lick her paws and lower limbs. I just started brushing Sheena and I'm in Sacramento where the weather is 95 F degrees still but then it goes according to the shortening of the day regardless of temperature. Chows blow coats 2x/year- spring and fall.

Also, I don't believe the 95% Turkey or Salmon includes any added vitamins at all, so Louie isn't getting his full need of vitamins. I have Sheena on By Nature organic canned food only (Turkey and Chicken) since I believe dry food is too high a protein for chows so I can't really comment on your dry food choice. I always also look to the latest change in diet/treats in the past few months for any negative changes that may be occurring presently.

Can't comment on carpet or cleaning products either since I just vacuum w/o any products added and just mop linoleum floors with soap and rinse with vinegar. Imagine there may be some chemicals added to swifter pads. Baking soda is a salt and may be irritating and drying Louie's paws.

I would probably inspect Louie's paws more carefully. Clean out excess hair and place paws in water and look w/magnifier. Don't want microbes/bacteria to start any infections. Also, brushing/combing weekly is good for the skin. I have only bathed Sheena 1 to 2x/year-brushing has been the most important in the 9.5 years I've had her-she was a rescue at 3.5 years approximately.

Much health to Louie and hope your find out the solution soon.
Louie has been shedding for nearly 2 months now. I brush him daily with a furminator type brush (and man, when will it stop??lol). He usually goes to the groomer once a month, but due to some money issues with both of our cars recently I haven't been able to take him. I haven't been able to bathe him since he started shedding. I have noticed that the hair between his pads have started to come through, so I was thinking that this may have something to do with the irritation? I think that a grooming appointment may be in order.

His dry food doesn't have very much protein as he mostly receives the vegetarian formula from Natural Balance, and the canned foods as supplemental proteins and moisture (in addition to a spoonful of cottage cheese every morning). So I don't think that it is his food. I would probably see other skin related issues on his body if it was his food.

I didn't think about the baking soda drying out his feet. We mostly use it to remove any doggy related odors from the carpet once in a blue moon, especially if our landlord (who is allergic to dogs) comes over to fix something. I think that I will stop using the swiffer wet pads though - you may be right with all of the chemicals that may be involved in them.

I have started to wipe his paws when he comes inside. Someone at work suggested dog bootys... I cannot tell if it is working, but he still insists on licking and chewing his front right paw, so I've wrapped it for now so that he cannot get to it.

Thank you for the advice though. I'm certainly going to get that grooming appt in order and see if he improves. I also gave him some benedryl to see if that helps.
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

btw, here is a picture of Louie:

and one with his foot wrapped up =)

gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

wokman wrote:I would suspect allergies or lawn chemicals (fertilizers or weed killers). This time of year there are molds on the lawns; my Chows have been licking and nibbling their paws. My lawn has no treatments applied but in the past where I use to live treatments were used. Lawn chemicals can cause inter digital cysts that continually swell and burst until the dog is removed from the area treated or snow covers the ground, then the problem goes away. Washing the paws after each outing can help if your Chow will allow it. If sores start developing from the situation your Chow has now you can try a just a little antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin) to prevent infection; don't use too much, once a day for two days then again a few days later. See Veterinarian if it gets worse. Happens every year with mine; hope yours gets better. :)
We don't use any lawn chemicals (we don't have much of a lawn anyway. haha). But you may be right about the lawn changing. We live in a rental and never had louie in the grass here this time last year, which is why in addition to his shedding and lack of grooming appts, that he may be experiencing some type of seasonal allergy with the grasses and plants outside. I haven't seen any sores in his pads (thank goodness). I have tried benedryl though. I have my vets number if I need him =)
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Louie is sooooooooooo precious! What a handsome chow!

Rentals usually apply pesticides for insects around the property. So even tho' you may not be using chemicals maybe the owner has monthly applications or had applied before you moved in. All parks, school property, government properties have weekly to monthly chemical/herbicide/insecticide applications both outside and inside buildings. They usually spray around the perimeters of the lawn and in and outside the buildings. (Oh, great suggestions...Wokman!)

So glad there are no sores on those gorgeous paws of Louie!
Jennifer & Sheena
BusterBoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BusterBoo »

Shadow has been licking his paws non-stop for the last several weeks. Neither the vet nor I can find any cause; we know it's airborne allergens and this is how it's manifesting. His paws are going bald, but still no redness, no sores. This has been a dreadful allergy season, for me and for all my dogs.