Is my chow purebreed?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Is my chow pure?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 4

Eukeeh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is my chow purebreed?

Post by Eukeeh »

Hello there! I saw an ad on the internet saying that they are selling purebreed chows, i immediately went to their place and saw this very cute little chows. I bought a female chow, almost 8 weeks, and is cinammon in color. I chose a female chow because i already have a male chow. The breeder said that the chow is pure. She has papers that will be delivered on by next week probably so I named her AA. After buying AA, i went to the veterenarian for her to be checked. She is healthy but she has lots of flea. I asked if she is a purebreed chow or not. The vet checked her tongue and told us that AA was not a purebreed chow because her tongue was not all blue-black. I felt disappointed by that because the breeder lied to us. The vet told us that we should return AA but i already fell in love with AA. I decided to bring her home. Is my chow purebreed?
Last edited by Eukeeh on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is my chow purebreed?

Post by maikinda »

Just because the tongue is not all black does not mean they are not all chow. It is possible the breeder was not aware of pigment problems in the pedigree. If you have to know you can always do a DNA test. If you love her it really doesn't make any difference.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree. Her other features definitely appear Chow-like. Don't see much else going on there. Pigmentation issues dont make her not a chow, just disqualify her for confirmation showing. The majority of cream chows do not carry the genetics to keep a solid blue/black/purple mouth. So, if there is any cream in her heritage, that could cause the pink, even though she will not be a cream chow herself.

Tough based on only the one photo, but i definitely think you have a 'pet' quality chow. That means she is fully a purebreed chow, just has enough faults to make her not showable or a candidate for breeding. A responsible breeder should have explained it to you, but as long as you didnt pay a premium for the puppy, nothing real unethical there.

I think you have a vet that isnt real familiar with Chows. Unless you were looking for something other than a great companion, its like Maikinda said, enjoy the pup for who she is, and she looks to have great personality.
Eukeeh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eukeeh »

Thank you for your reply guys i really appreeciate it. The breeder told us that chows tongue at birth was pink in color and it will take time for the tongue to fully develop into fully blue-black tongue. I guess i would believe the breeder rather than my vet. But it does not matter to me anymore. She is so lovely and sweet. Having a pet chow is like having a baby. You have to feed them, give them vitamins, clean them, take them to vet, play with them and many more and i'm having fun with it :)
Eukeeh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eukeeh »

How many more weeks for my chows tongue to become all blue-black? Or her tongue would be like that for the rest of her lifetime?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

No guarantees either way. She may keep the pink or she may develop the darker colors in her mouth. But i lean towards keeping at least some of the pink.

Is your male fixed? If not do you know what you are in for when your female comes into heat? Be prepared to keep them separated and monitored for the entire period.

Why werent the papers (at least the lineage) delivered on the spot?
Eukeeh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eukeeh »

I'm sorry but i don't know what fixed means. Can you tell me so that i would know? Thanks. Papers was not delivered on spot because it is still on process. I'm expecting for the papers to be delivered to me by the end of the week or probably next week.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Eukeeh wrote:I'm sorry but i don't know what fixed means. Can you tell me so that i would know? Thanks. Papers was not delivered on spot because it is still on process. I'm expecting for the papers to be delivered to me by the end of the week or probably next week.
Fixed means neutered. Spayed if it is a girl and neutered when a boy (surgery). This is usually done at 6 months of age so the girl never gets her period or goes into heat and boys no longer have *Censored Word* urges.

I think your UKE is pure breed. Chow pups are born with pink tongues that gradually turn blue black as they get older. Some Chows have spotted tongues as adults too but that does not mean they are not pure. Your vet was pretty careless/tactless for saying that.
Eukeeh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eukeeh »

Thank you.
Do i really have to get my dogs fixed?
I am now noticing her tongue turning little by little into blue black. She's the sweetest and also smart.