Help, my chow chows hair wont grow back!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

josephcui
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help, my chow chows hair wont grow back!

Post by josephcui »

I have a chow chow and i was shock that my mom told the groomer to shave her hair. I went on a vacation for a week so i didn't know and she didn't told me. It has been a yr and it wont grow back that much like before. I went to the vet to check its skin and there are no parasites. Since chow chow is not famous here in Philippines, the vet here are not that familiar with chow chow. What should I do?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Help, my chow chows hair wont grow back!

Post by Rory's Dad »

Bath her frequently, and brush her out at every opportunity. That will stimulate the hair follicles and encourage growth. We run into the same issue when the Chow blows coat. It will still take time, but it's all you can do.
BusterBoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BusterBoo »

If you can have the vet check thyroid levels and cardiac health, that is important as well. A dog with coronary disease will not grow hair, and thyroid levels affect it as well.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Definitely do the thyroid check. Ursa has issues with her thyroid, and It took some time for us to get her level correct. It caused her to have considerable hair loss, and took some time for it all to return.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

It can also depend on what stage of its cycle the hair was at when it was cut. Bramble was shaved for two leg ops....the first grew back very quickly where her short leg hair was and slowly where the longer feathers at the back are but the sort of in between length hair took far longer to grow....more than a year. But when they did her second leg all the hair grew back much quicker and in fact the in between hair was all grown in on the second leg and the first was not complete. Don't panic. If the medical test are clear then I would up the protein a little and give some salmon oil and brush gently but regularly. Let us know how you get on.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.