My chows tail

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ambivalent89
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chows tail

Post by Ambivalent89 »

Bear has been biting her tail once in a while and when I decided to check she flinched and run away, I was trying to be as gentle as possible and with a little struggle I was able to see it. Looked like irritation and a little bit of blood, I cleaned it as best as I could and put peroxide on it. Did any of your chows have this issue?
Attachments
tailll.jpg
tailll.jpg (49.85 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My chows tail

Post by Constantina »

Yes! I washed the area and applied diluted betadine (providone iodine) and it dried right up. It's either yeast or food allergy. I got her off dog food with corn, wheat and soy, gluten etc.. Could she be allergic to those? Keep the area clean and dry.
Ambivalent89
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ambivalent89 »

Thank you for your reply! I took her to the vet and told me it could have been from her biting herself, since her glands were full and was probably trying to reach, but instead got her tail. I give her pedigree and I was told that has allot of corn! what type of food do you give your chow. I want to change her food, the vet didn't tell me about changing her food, but lately she doesn't seem as interested to her food. I gave her this brand since the first time I got her, now 7 years.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Do a search on here for foods and you will see there has been a lot of discussion. It looks like a hot spot to me. You can also do a search on here for hot spots. There are some home remedies to use when one occurs. The biggest cause is either food allergies or a flea allergy. Good luck.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Ambivalent89 wrote:Thank you for your reply! I took her to the vet and told me it could have been from her biting herself, since her glands were full and was probably trying to reach, but instead got her tail. I give her pedigree and I was told that has allot of corn! what type of food do you give your chow. I want to change her food, the vet didn't tell me about changing her food, but lately she doesn't seem as interested to her food. I gave her this brand since the first time I got her, now 7 years.

Yup could also be a hotspot. I transitioned Constantina to Acana Lamb and apple and the itching stopped. Plan to rotate with Canidae ALS, Solid Gold Wolf Cub and Orijen Puppy Large breed so she gets enough protein and fat a growing puppy needs without the wheat,corn, by products, and soy.