Staph infection or allergies??

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Staph infection or allergies??

Post by sashasayys »

So my puppy has been itching and biting on his belly. I looked at it and it was all red. It's not infected or anything but i can definitely see that it bothers him. I don't really want to take him to the vet simply because they've been over charging us and screwing us over quite a bit (making mistakes and such).
I was wondering if there is anything else i could do? I just gave him a bath using an oatmeal and tea tree shampoo that is supposed to keep him him from itching and everything..
Could it be an infection? Am i supposed to get him a cone so he wouldnt bite it? Should i try giving him benadryl? I'm really nervous.. i dont want my poor doggy to be uncomfortable :(

Also could he pass it on to the cats?
get-attachment.jpg
get-attachment.jpg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
get-attachment (1).jpg
get-attachment (1).jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
get-attachment (2).jpg
get-attachment (2).jpg (26.27 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Staph infection or allergies??

Post by Laura »

Well if it were me I would take him to the vet and if you are unhappy with your present vet I would find another. I always follow the better safe than sorry thought even though it dents my wallet. That looks very inflamed and he will only make it worse licking/gnawing at it and cause an infection if he hasn't already. Just my opinion.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Staph infection or allergies??

Post by sashasayys »

I took him to the vet and they told me he was just allergic to pollen and fertilizer. They gave him a steroid shot and they hope it doesn't come back!