Help! Chow Chow is scratching himself till he bleeds

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

vdtran
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help! Chow Chow is scratching himself till he bleeds

Post by vdtran »

Hello All,

My cream chow chow Rambo just turned 1 year old in Feb. For the past week, he has been scratching non-stop. I looked at his paw yesterday and he chewed himself until he bled.

Right now he is eating Blue Buffalo beef flavored dry food. He is on confortis flea pill (once a month). The vet gave him 2 types of medicine to take. One for a bacterial infection probably from an insect bite and one to calm down on the itching, but it doesnt seem to work.

Please let me know if anyone has experience with this sort of problem. he seems to be itching everywhere. Im thinking about putting him in a cone.
Attachments
Rambo Puppy.jpg
Rambo Puppy.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help! Chow Chow is scratching himself till he bleeds

Post by reddog »

What a cutie he is!

So sorry to hear about Rambo’s itching problem. I understand what the two of you are going through. My Whitby gets the itches every now and then. I have a couple of questions and suggestions.

The first thing that comes to my mind after reading your post – allergies.

Have you recently changed him from another brand of food to Buffalo Blue?

How long have you been using confortis for flea prevention on him? Whitby had an allergic reaction to the first flea med I used on her. I switched to another and she has been doing fine with it.

I don’t know where you live. Perhaps he is having seasonal allergies. I live in Pennsylvania and Whitby has allergies that kick in in the Spring and Fall of the year due to the grass and pollen in the air. Her vet gives me cetirizine HC1 10 mg to give her. It helps to relieve/stop her scratching.

Last thought/suggestion –when you bath him use an oatmeal shampoo. It will help to soothe him.

Wishing you my best on your quest for a solution and an end to Rambo’s itching.

Please keep us posted
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Rambo is an extremely handsome boy!

My Troy began itching at 1 year old; he was a stray from the shelter. You can read some of what I went thru and what measures I took in the Memorial and Prayers section- (Troy de Bad Boy...) He struggled with itching and lived in a cone for months and months-it was heartbreaking. Sometimes things would work for a short time and then stop working or create more problems.

Hopefully, Rambo's itching will be short-lived with a solution found. Try natural, holistic remedies first.

Much success with Rambo.
Jennifer & Sheena
swisschow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by swisschow »

Do an allergy test! Simple, at the vets.
Also I would change the food. Painful process but your chow will thank you for it. Do one type of food at the time fora few weeks and you will see what doesnt work. Many dogs are better off eating just fish based food.
There are several solutions for allergies, if that's what it is.
Omega 3/6 oil can also help but this sounds like more serious problem.
Best of luck.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

I also think it's allergies. Please,do have him check for allergies. It's frustrating seeing your beloved itching nonstop. He's totally a charmer,and I hope he'll get better soon!