Very Itchy--Could Cause Be Blowing Coat?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Very Itchy--Could Cause Be Blowing Coat?

Post by CocoLeBear »

I adopted my dog Coco in January and am now dealing with her blowing her coat. I'd say she started in late April and she is still blowing it out. She went to the groomers in late April for a bath and brush out and they used the furminator. Last week, I noticed that she got very itchy, she has been scratching with her legs and leaving wet patches on herself from biting herself. This is completely new and not something that she has done before. It was very humid outside and I didn't put on the a/c at first. Sent her to the groomer again for a medicated bath, furminator, and blow out. They said she was shedding very heavily. I bought a furminator and have been using it, but she is still so itchy. No sign of fleas, her skin doesn't look irritated or smell, no redness, dandruff, or anything like that. Can blowing the coat cause itchiness? She does have sensitive skin and is on special food for food allergies (which are completely under control and not a problem).
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Very Itchy--Could Cause Be Blowing Coat?

Post by Merlin »

Seasonal allergies, or food allergies.
You could ask for a cortisone shot, which normally lasts 8 weeks ( if the scratching is very bad), and if it is bad, ultimately it could get infected, and then you'll have a problem on your hands.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Very Itchy--Could Cause Be Blowing Coat?

Post by Rory's Dad »

Also have found that our Chows are very sensitive to the normal shampoos that commercial groomers use. Ask for a gentler blend next time. If it goes beyond a week or so could be something else, but mostly they will use a very harsh shampoo (smell the dog and see if it has a real chemical smell).