Female Season

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Female Season

Post by Rory's Dad »

Amber is our 1st female Chow. She will be coming into her 1st heat next month.

We also have an intact male in the house. Any advice on what to expect?

Obviously they will need to be separated, but they pretty much are anyway since Amber tends to be puppy aggressive and Rory isn't really interested in playing. She just wants to nip at his ruff and when she decides to be submissive he just wants to lick her private areas.

We have been waiting out their phases, as they generally get along and tolerate each other, but the heat is going to be a new challenge. Rory is one of the worst markers we have ever seen. Even his handler is surprised by his 'drive'.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Female Season

Post by applebear »

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijhn
Last edited by applebear on Thu May 09, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I always started checking my girls several weeks before I expected them to come in season. Watch for them licking themselves or for the hair to be sticky around the vulva. Checking for discharge with a white paper towel will help. Although there is an "average" breeding time (10-14 day) you can never count on it. I have know girls that have bred as early as the 4th day and as late as the 23rd day. Its better to keep them separated a little longer than not long enough. Hope this helps.

Laura
Attachments
wp3a225895_0f.jpg
wp3a225895_0f.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Not much I can add to Maikindas post except Rori's mating drive and Ambers will be such that a baby gate may not be sufficient to keep them sepperated. I would aim for two doors at all times. To be honest if you have someone willing to take Rori that he would be happy to stay with that is probably the best solution. Amber will need to be with you. They get very clingy and I often wonder if they suffer cramps. She may go off her food for some time and will possibly feel the need to try and escape and take to digging. I have been lucky in that respect (so far) even though Isla is a digger she has never tried to escape from digging. As the last post said most fertile normal time is 11 - 14 days. Izzie was mated day 16 sand fell pregnant. Bramble bled right through her season Izzie stopped about mating day. It all varies. If you are intending breeding it is important to keep a record of dates of seasons, gap between (izzie is regular to the day...I could have mated her same day as last year even though she had pups and I presumed that would knock her off schedule) different discharges on which days. That way you build up a picture of their cycle and you will have a lot of valuable information should you intend to breed her. I dont know if you ever said if you did. Having said that it is not really possible to know when they will first come in season. Bramble came in season four times by one year and Izzie came in season first at about ten months. Isla came in season when her mum did so about ten months too. A group of females tend to cycle together.

Good luck! :)
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Are you planning to breed at some point? Just wondered why neither of them are spayed/neutered.
Fozz is spayed now but she came into season when Humphrey was only 5months old and we had to send him to stay with my Mum and Dad, as they would not leave each other alone. I agree that a babygate is probably not going to be particularly effective. I took Fozz out for a walk (on a lead of course) and an Irish Wolfhound ran over from half a mile away to get hold of her (followed by an out of breath and confused owner). I had to physically stand between them - persistent doesn't cover it - a very large randy dog is not easy to contend with!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sirchow and Fozz, thanks for the perspective on the baby gates. Knowing that ahead will definitely be helpful. Rory has such a male drive under normal circumstances (marking, never humped in his life). He has been around other females in heat at shows and its always a distraction for him.

To answer both your questions, yes we intend to breed both of them. Rory already Shows on a regular basis and Amber will go with our handler for 2 weeks starting Wednesday to learn the ropes. Rory is 18 months, and we will not breed him until he is 2 years and can have his testing completed. Were hoping to have his AKC campaign done by then, but lack of competition has resulted in no majors to get that done. I co-own Amber with the breeder and when she is old enough will likely be bred with one of her stock. For some reason the breeder doesnt feel Rory and Amber would be a good mating pair.

Thanks again for your input. Since this is her 1st go around, i hope she's pretty close to schedule as there are some shows Rory could attend and miss the whole event.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Never underestimate the male's determination to get to the female in heat. Since I know why you dont want Rory to get into Amber is for obvious reason. Amber too young to be bred. Separate them for not less than 3 weeks from the onset of heat. You'll know once the males are interested in Amber's behind. Amber will not be receptive on day 1. Cassie attacked Blue when she was in heat (not yet peaked) while Blue was sniffing her while urinating. Amber will show readiness by allowing the male to sniff her and raising her tail. So dont wait for that day and separate Rory completely in the first day.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Thanks Cam, thats good experience speaking there.