Please offer assistance - my chow chow passed away

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MochiHanoi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Please offer assistance - my chow chow passed away

Post by MochiHanoi »

I was hoping some people can guide me and offer assistance.

I have some incredibly sad news to part, our beloved Mochi passed away two nights ago on 28 April 2013. It was Mochi's first day at dog training school. Bloo bear my other chow chow had already attended for 2 weeks and had returned home the day before. Now it was Mochi's turn. I delivered Mochi to the dog training centre in Hanoi, Vietnam on Sunday morning at 10:00am. I received an sms from the trainer that Mochi had settled in nicely and was mixing with the other dogs at the school.

At 7:00pm the same night the trainer called me and said Mochi was not breathing. I was so so shocked and my heart sank, I fell to my knees and started to cry. I called the emergency vet and asked her to call the trainer to offer assistance. I drove to the dog training centre, only 5 minutes from my house, and unfortunately Mochi did not make it. His body was still warm when I arrived and I knew straight away the trainer had pushed Mochi too hard. Mochi was different to BlooBear, be liked to stroll and smell the gardens, he was not interested in walking more then 15 minutes. Everything was done in Mochi's time, when he wanted to. I loved this characteristic of Mochi however the Trainer thought he should be more disciplined.

When I arrived the trainer was crying and was in obvious shock, he had been conducting CPR on Mochi however it was not working. When I saw Mochi already Riga-mortis was setting in and his jaw was clenched tight. As you can imagine this was so hard for me to see. He was so happy in the morning entering the dog training then dead at night.

I took Mochi home with me and washed his body, combed and blow dryed his hair for 3 hours, this is one of the most traumatic experiences in my life, I have never cried so much, ever!!! MOchi was only 14 months old, and I had him from a puppy bringing in from the breeder in Beijing to Hanoi. Mochi had been part of my life even before he was born as there was a long lead time to acquire him.

The next morning I took Mochi's body to the Vet for an autopsy mainly for peace of mind, even though I knew in my heart of heart what had happened and what Mochi died from.

The Vets Autopsy states:
"Heart and Lung normal on Mochi, no possibility of drowning, strong heart so no link to heart disease or no link to getting water in his airpipe. The airpipe is collapsed on a 12 cm long stretch not in the throat more in the stomach. Cause of death Asphyxia most likely due to forceful inhalation/panting trying to cool down."

I have had Mochi cremated and this Friday I will receive his ashes then have a buddhist ceremony to bid farewell to my beloved Mochi.
I loved Mochi so much as part of my family and have been devastated by our loss of Mochi.

I am reaching out as I need people's advice on what to do with the trainer. I am due to meet him tomorrow and show him the autopsy report.
Can people please offer words of advice on what they think they would do in this circumstance. I truly believe this trainer is negligent and has not shown due diligence in looking after my chow chow.

As a buddhist this is not about revenge, as I need to release Mochi's spirit however I want to ensure this does not happen to any other dogs and dog owners. This is a horrible experience to go through.

I hope somebody reaches out to me
I have uploaded some pics of Mochi

Thank you
Attachments
Bloobear and Mochi
Bloobear and Mochi
P1130828.jpeg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
chow315

Re: Please offer assistance - my chow chow passed away

Post by chow315 »

i don't know what to say except my heart goes out to you.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Please offer assistance - my chow chow passed away

Post by Cam Atis »

Oh so sorry for your Mochi. The trainer is not a good dog trainer. He is the one that caused Mochi to collapse. Over exertion. A dog can die from over heating. But if water is available and Mochi was allowed to rest, death could never happen unless he was poisoned. Why does the training class lasts for a day? 10am to 7pm?! Dogs need to be trained for 30 minutes. And that's that.

Buddhist believes in karma and more peace. But you have to make it known why your dog died - not that you pick a fight but it is your responsibility to have it known to people whose dogs are training there.

Reminds me of a adoslescent male child who was put to training by his parents in China only to receive news that their son was dead because of too much training. Their son loved video games and what you call a couch potato.