11 yr old chow

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow315

11 yr old chow

Post by chow315 »

i have an 11 yr old chow.he has allergy problems bad arthritis and had trouble with his ears. the ears seem to be okay now.he stopped eating yesterday. i'm trying to switch him to blue buffalo sensitive basics. he is not eating it. also i have tried everything to get his meds in him mbut cant.ive tried every food a pet pill gun, peanut butter, cheese. can anyone help thanks
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 11 yr old chow

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Just keep trying to give him the food. He'll eventually eat it. A dog would never let itself starve.

And I've never found a simple way to give dogs meds... I've ALWAYS opened their mouth, dropped the meds into the back of their throat and held their mouth shut until they swallowed. Only tried and true way.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I wrap the pill in a piece of ham or other sandwich meat, a piece of American cheese, or if it is a med that can be crushed (always ask the vet before crushing any med!), I have crushed it in a bit of can food or yogurt and mixed it well. Otherwise it is the method tipsys mom suggested. As far as changing the food have you done it slowly mixing a bit of the new with old over a couple of weeks gradually increasing the new or did you do it cold turkey?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
chow315

Post by chow315 »

i have done everything you both suggested.i have cooked small omlets for him.i have cooked sausage, made all kinds of sandwiches, i have crushed and mixed in canned food. yesterday i tried forcing the pill down his throat 5 times and 5 times he spit it out.plus the pill pusher
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Plus the pill pusher??? Isnt that dangerous to your chow? Gag on it?
I used to shove pills into my dalmatians' mouth with my bare hand, with ease and confidence. With Cassie? Not much luck, she is far too skittish and quick to pull back her head so I have to use tactic 2, which is covert - putting the pill incognito in the white loaf bread, press bread tightly to make the bread hold the pill better. and throw it at Cassie, like I dont want her to eat it. So she'd investigate it and seeing it is not poisoned, she'll chomp on it. I have to do the process 4 times last time for her deworming tablet because it managed to fall from her mouth. As a whole pill twice, then as a halved pill, as 1/4 pill and a 1/8 part fell again, oh never mind I let her get away with it.

If you have tried to do everything, I think the only way, is to open her mouth, pop the pill and close her mouth, wait until she licks her nose. which means she has swallowed. Dont relax your hand in keeping her mouth close until she licks or shows her tongue.If you place the pill half way in her tongue, she'll manage to spit it later. Tippsy's mom described the process above. Dont over exert in keeping her mouth close. just the right pressure.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

another desperate way is, powderise the pill, dissolve it in 5cc or 5mL of water, have a 5cc or 10cc syringe (remove the needle), and open his mouth and your force feed it. All you have to do is keep him looking up until he swallow the mixture.

Add sugar to make it palatable. Do this if the pill is not an extended release type. Else it is not recommended to be powderized
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

chow315 wrote:i have done everything you both suggested.i have cooked small omlets for him.i have cooked sausage, made all kinds of sandwiches, i have crushed and mixed in canned food. yesterday i tried forcing the pill down his throat 5 times and 5 times he spit it out.plus the pill pusher
I drop the pill in, by itself, and HOLD their mouth shut until they swallow. Often times I encourage swallowing by rubbing rub and down their neck under their chin. If you let go before they swallow, they will spit it out.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chow315

Post by chow315 »

hi and thanks he desperately needs rimadyl for his severe arthritis in his back leg. i'm doing this because i LOVE HIM, the pill pusher is really a larger syringe, i bought it at pet supermarket.he also takes benadryl ( prescribed by vet) for his allergies.i crushed his rimadyl and wet put in the pusher held his mouth till he stuck his tongue out. and thank God success!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

The surgeon gave me rimadyl in treat form. It is a little square hard treat like thing that Chloe takes with no problem so I assume it has flavoring like a treat. You might ask your doctor to try a sample one of those.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

That Med does come in chewable treat form, my Lace was on it for the same thing, she was bad at pills too but that one she ate just like a treat

Ask your vet for that option
chow315

Post by chow315 »

success at last. about 45 minutes ago he decided he was hungry, i mixed the pills in with the dry, nothing added and he ate all of it!!!!!!!