Is he a small chow?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

qbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is he a small chow?

Post by qbear »

We took Hampton to the pet store today and the workers there told us he looked small and "grown into his paws" meaning he wouldn't grow very much. He's 26lbs now and 3.5 months, I didn't think that was small? I told them his dad is big and that he's still just a pup, and they kept saying how small he looks. I found this quite annoying, not because I care about how big he'll get, but more because I didn't think they knew what they were talking about. Is that weight underweight for average chows? Would love other opinions. P.S. He is very fit, we play at the parks and dog parks every single day.
- Hampton's Mama + Papa

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is he a small chow?

Post by kitten1426 »

I dont remember what Kodi weighed back when he was that age he will be 2 in May im guessing he was around 33-35 lbs at that age..but Kodi pictured bellow he is tall very tall.26 or so inches at the shoulders.....he is around 85 lbs maybe a little more..he has more filling out to go yet too..lol..
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
twistedcaduceus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by twistedcaduceus »

Shadow is 31 lbs right now. She is just a few days over 6 months old.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

It is only my opinion, but it's inaccurate to go by a dogs paws for size. Hampton is only 3.5 months, he has a ways before he is full grown. Usually a dog is hitting their full height between 6-8 months [maybe a bit longer] and then they start filling out for the second year. Rolyx weighed 44 pounds at 8 months...he weighs 72 now at 2.5-3 years. He may of gotten a tad taller, but not by much if so [I didn't measure him then].
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

at 3.5 months and 26lbs I'd say he is just where he should be, at 6 months he will be around 60% of his adult weight and size. The males tend to grow quickly for the first full year and then spend the next 18 to 24 months putting on muscle and bone mass, maybe an inch or two. I wouldn't count a male finished until 3 years. The females who can be half the size of the males are finished around 2.5 years.

That is why it is important to wait until 2 years for the males and 18 months for the females for any orthopedic tests as well as really evaluate them for entroprian and a few other tests, they should be close to grown before those tests are done. And they should NOT be bred until the tests are done and results evaluated. (not that I'm assuming that you are going to breed, just saying)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Seems i am always seconding Victory posts, but i have an excuse this time as i was away for the weekend.

Anyway, the statistical data and age recommendations are right on.

For reference, our female is just over 4 months and weighed in a bit over 31 lbs at her recent vet check. Vet says perfect weight proportion. Her sire was well over 80 pounds and very large. Dam was tiny. We have her out and about all the time and the most frequent comment is that she is a big puff of fur. I challenge people to put together 31 lbs of fur, because she is about as solid dead weight as i have come across.

Many people use an indication of paw size to determine overall size of a pup. And i agree with Applebear that its a pretty inaccurate science.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Well Our Airedale had snow shoes for paws...LOL...as a pup he weighed 10 pounds at 6-1/2 weeks old his Paws didnt lie..lol he is an easy 110-115 lbs not even 2 yrs old yet...so maybe it isnt so inaccurate all the time...Plus Kodi had big paws he is very big too..being over 80 lbs standing over 26 inches at the shoulders...and not 2 hyrs old either so maybe it doesnt work all the time but it seemed to work this time...lol...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Brutus was that weight at 3 1/2 months and was wonder how big he would get too, I think it's normal. As he got older he grew slower than our last female but at almost 2 years old he's 56lbs but is very lean. I talked to a long time chow breeder that told me that the slower chows grow the better. She was the breeder of one of the top 5 chows last year that took 3 years to mature. I'm sure Brutus will add more muscle but think a 50 to 60lb male chow is the perfect size.

Don't worry about it and just take lots of pictures because time will go by fast.

Brutus
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Those workers are ignorant! 26 pounds at 3.5 months is definitely NOT small. My Chestnut is four months and 25 pounds and the people who see her comment on what a huge puppy she is for a chow. When he hits four months that will be half his adult size so i'm guessing he will be 28 pounds around then. 56 pounds minimum at adulthood!