Dubious Health Info on Lilly

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dubious Health Info on Lilly

Post by Me & Tess »

Before we adopted Lilly, we were told that she had entropion surgery & that would not be an issue. We requested that her medical records be faxed to out vet. Her history was sketchy; last rabies shot as well as other shots were four years ago. No mention of surgeries. Lilly's right eye tears some. My question is if she had the surgery, would tearing be in the realm of normal. I am keeping watch on her eye & wipe her eyes & wash her face almost daily. Tess' right eye used to tear some but did not become a problem & it wasn't constant.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Dubious Health Info on Lilly

Post by Cam Atis »

Skin can droop so it could be the reason Lilly has tears again on her right eye. Or maybe the operation tuck wasn't neat enough.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I am going to keep watch on her eye. I have been wiping her teary eye with tea (an old remedy) & I need to do a big Spring Cleaning to try & get most of the dust away (maybe dust could be a contributing factor). Log homes seem dustier than conventional homes. I have been reading up too. There was so much they didn't tell us about Lilly. I don't think it was the Rescues fault, but the fault of her previous owner.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

My Chloe has tearing and it is allergy related, not entropian.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly sleeps in back of our headboard. I have doing a big dusting/cleaning thru-out. I was also using that area as a small storage as well as under my bed - I pulled the stuff out & put it else where. I can now get back there and try to keep her area dust free. Her eye looks a little better this morning. I am hoping that the dust is the offending culprit.
pvetter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pvetter »

Our Chow girl puppy, also a rescue, had entropion correction surgery shortly after we got her. Now almost two years alter, it still tears, though much less than before. Eventually she may need a revision. Sometimes a surgeon may over-correct a defect resulting in ectropion (outward turned lid), and however slight, may allow fluid to spill over the lower lid, saturating the surrounding fur.

Eyelid surgery -blepharoplasty- is tricky. It's hard to find a great cosmetic surgeon for humans who specializes in eyes, let alone a narrower canine market. Both myself and my spouse have had lower lid blephs with fantastic results. I wish my surgeon could have done little Tara's eyelid!