9 month old chow chow with growths on her soft pallet

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cinziao
Rank 0
Rank 0

9 month old chow chow with growths on her soft pallet

Post by cinziao »

Hi everyone! I go on this forum to seek info and advice for about a year and a half but this is my first post. I lost my beautiful chow at 16 years old in 2011. He came from a rescue and was our Best Friend for 15 years. we decided to adopt from a rescue again. We got our awesome chow, Bellina, from a rescue in NY. She is approx. 6-12 months old (was a stray found on the streets)and is making great improvements, learning to trust and gaining confidence. WE ADORE HER!
She has been with us for 2 and a half months and was spaded two weeks ago. While intabating her the vet noticed two large growths on her soft pallet. he scraped them but the results were inconclusive. he believes that it is an auto immune diseases called eosinophiliac granuloma complex. (SPELLING??) She needs to have a biopsy which means more surgery for the poor thing... Is anyone familiar with this or can anyone give me advice?
I will say that I looked in her mouth and they are visible to me as well.
Last edited by cinziao on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: 9 month old chow chow with growths on her soft pallet

Post by Victory »

I've not heard of that disease. But I do know from Jeff whose Pekoe had a type of oral cancer, that chows do get oral problems because of the pegmentation in their mouths. So I would do two things, I would have the biopsy done, if they use the right anethesic, she won't even notice it a lot. And the second thing I would do would be to get a good spelling of the diagnosis and then do as much research as possible.

Pekoe went through chemo and radiation. The first vet had given her 3months to live, a maximum of 6, she lived for over 3 more YEARS and for almost all of that she was happy and content being HRH Pekoe. Her treatment was also partially paid for by the university, as it was experimental.

My personal feelings are that any unknown abnormalities should at the very least be diagnosed and the prognosis learned. That is the only way to know what to do.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cinziao
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cinziao »

thank you!
Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex is the correct spelling, rare in dogs (only seen in dogs from arctic circle) Common in cats and horses. We will do a biopsy but he says the chance of cancer is less than 1%. she is on a course of antibiotics because they were oozing.
The other possibility is a severe allergy. She is so sweet and I hate to put her through all this so soon when she is just learning to trust.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Just make sure they are gentle and respectful with her. She'll feel 100% better when she is well again and will bond faster because she'll feel better.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Caryl Myers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Caryl Myers »

Have herd of this with cats, never dogs. Get another opinion?

Caryl Myers
www.cejamchows.com
AKC Breeder of Merit
cinziao
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cinziao »

she is having surgery tomorrow morning to remove and biopsy them. your right though common in cats and horses... rare in dogs. however seen in arctic circle dogs. we will know more friday when we get the results.
cinziao
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cinziao »

So her results came in and she does have granuloma complex. She is on a Very expensive immune suppressant (the less expensive one made her sick) and her growths are gone. She is doing great.
She is such a love... I am so glad we chose a rescue instead of a breeder!!!