Micro chipping issue

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Micro chipping issue

Post by chowpups »

has anyone had a problem after micro chipping their pets? Bella developed an egg size lump 2 wks after the chip was inserted . The chip was in the center of the lump when they scanned her!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Micro chipping issue

Post by Rory's Dad »

Havent seen that. Rory had no issues whatsoever, and he was about 4 months when it was done.

Amber was a bit sensitive for about a day after, but she was only 9 weeks, so i am guessing it was just the size thing. She didnt really react at all to the injection, but whined about the alcohol wipe beforehand...go figure.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Rorys dad, did your vet shave the area the needle went into?
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa got her microchip when she went in to be spayed and there was no irritation there at all. Nancy, they didn't shave her for the microchip.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Bella was not shaved and also done at spaying .
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Nancy, I cannot believe that Bella is already old enough to be spayed. Time goes by so fast. She must be getting pretty big by now too, think it is time for more pictures.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

No shaving. The chip is usually inserted with a needle between the shoulder blades.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Karen, Believe it shes 8 1/2 months now.. I posted a quick photo of her for you in photo gallery..
From what Iam learning not all shave but the Vet I talked to at the chip manuf. kind of made a comment like the area should be shaved to prevent hair follicles from getting into the sight and causing problems. Which makes sense.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Is the lump gone now? If not, maybe the thing needs to be removed. I don't think your vet managed to place it exactly where it was supposed to be placed.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

The egg size lump has gone down with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories but can still feel a slight lump ..They did a needle aspiration(suggested by Vet at manuf.) to see if there was blood, infection or inflammation causing it.. (which they were looking at hematoma, infection or body rejecting it) But didn't get enough matter to do proper testing so they put her on antibiotics in case it was infection.. and anti inflammatory in case it was cell inflammed, and if its a hematoma it will go down eventually.. so no real answers..

The Vet put it in the right spot between the shoulder blades, to remove a chip is more involved then inserting it.. They would have to put her under again and surgically remove it, it was only 2 wks before she was under for spaying so they didn't really want to have to do it so soon.
She is under watch for now.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Dixie and Jasper never had a problem with their microchips. Dixie's was done when she was adopted from ACC at 6-8 weeks old. Never even had a whimper out of her and she was wide awake. Jazz had his done this past summer, he was wide awake and didn't make a peep when it was done.

Todd on the other hand, I dunno about. He was already done when I got him.

The only thing I have had an issue with is migration of the chip. Dixie's is no longer where it started out... It has migrated down her shoulder blade. Still in an easily scanned spot, but I get it checked whenever I can to make sure it's still readable and if the day comes that it's not, I'll rechip her. Lol
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Jess I have read about that happening..Hopefully it can still be read and a Vet or rescue knows enough to look further than a shoulder blade. I still keep Bella's rabies tag on her cause around here most people want to make sure they have had a rabies shots.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Yeah, from the vets and shelter workers I've talked to, they try to check really hard for chips. And all 3 of mine wear their ID tags, rabies tags, and microchip tags anyways. If Dixie's chip moves anymore though, I'm gonna get a tag made that tells the location of it just in case. Same if the boys' chips ever move.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix