My chow making odd noise

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ambivalent89
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow making odd noise

Post by Ambivalent89 »

Lately my chow chow once every few months, will make this weird noise through her mouth, like she freezes in place and makes this noise like she is having tough time to breathe or is trying to cough something out, it's hard to explain. Like she makes a bit and makes this noise, like a cat who coughing off a hair ball. I am gonna try and make an appointment this weekend to get her checked from the Vet, but I wanted to know if this is normal? she also eats, but not as much. :(
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My chow making odd noise

Post by Rory's Dad »

As chows (or any dog for that matter) grow out of the puppy phase, they will eat less often. They just dont need as much in most cases.

As to the noises, listen closely. Chows do make cat like sounds. Some call it chuffing, something that tigers do quite often. Kind of like a half growl, half snore sound. Mostly will occur when you would expect a cat to purr, but can happen at other times too. If that's it rest assured, they can control it, and its not a sign of stress.
Ambivalent89
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ambivalent89 »

Thank you for replying!! It's good to know that as they grow they don't eat as much, which is comforting to know.
The noise sounds scary, I didn't know that they do those noises, is there a reason why they do it? when she does, she shakes, like trembling and like you described it, half growl, half snore sound. Also if you don't mind me asking, is it normal that she licks herself down there often?
Thanks again in advance.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Hard to say why they make the noise, but mostly it is like a cat purr, they are happy or enjoying contact with their family. Otherwise, it can be just a contented noise. They learn that the noise brings certain reactions, so why not keep with it. Rory doesn't really shake as you describe, but at night just before bed he gets 100% attention and some nice massage around his throat and jowels. He points his nose into the air, opens his mouth, and gets breathing so that it is a really deep snore-like sound, i guess some trembling could be construed from all of that...

All dogs will tend to lick 'down there'...males and females alike. In my house, my male tries to help the female out, and my wife hates it...try to tell her it's fairly normal, but still...lol.

My female Chow is only 10 weeks old, and i have always had only males previously, so maybe some of the regs with more experience with girl dogs can add some input.