Pyometra and chow chows

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pyometra and chow chows

Post by Hayley92 »

Hi guys,
My boyfriend's parents dog was in season roughly two weeks ago but unfortuently developed pyometra after. She had an emergency spay today and now considering is in good health, is home with painkillers and antibiotics and is looking alot better. Problem I have is chow chows don't seem to fit the 'normal' patterns behavior wise, I know two dogs are never the same but I think chows have a league of there own.
Basically although she has no obvious reason to be in considerable pain or discomfort she seems very upset, she pants a lot which is normal for her but she seems to sit there and get really worked up and I've seen 100s of dogs go through spays and a few pyos but never one act as she is. I don't believe her reaction is due to her condition although oviohysterectomy is a major surgery so wondered if anyone else finds there chows seem to get upset for a considerable amount of time after there routine is disturbed? Bonnie LOVES the outside and obviously she was put in a kennel at the vets and now has to be closely supervised when we let her out for a wee, we've also had to shut off certain areas of the house so she can be supervised.
Does anyone have any ideas to calm her down and get her to relax again as she is stressing me out as well as herself!

Also would like to remind everyone of the importance of spaying dogs when they are young, spaying before the first season almost totally eradicates development of mammary tumors and makes open and closed pyometras basically impossible, Pyometra is an infection in the uterus often triggered by the hormonal and physical changes of the reproductive tract, this is not always the easiest to notice especially in closed pyometra as symptoms in both aren't obvious until the condition is quite well established. Although it is sometimes possible to treat pyos with antibiotics it rarely works and the condition will probably return which means emergency spays have to be carried out. I paid 209 pounds to get my 27kg dog spayed as a youngster and this emergency spay cost my boyfriends parents 450 pounds and that was in practice opening times and the bill could still increase if she needs more drugs, the surgery is also more risky as the uterus could be filled with pus and is usually carried out in older bitches