Skin rash pictures should i be worried?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Skin rash pictures should i be worried?

Post by trry »

Hello all,
I hope someone can help me by tonight before I make an appointment to see the vet tomorrow... I was giving my chow a rub down when I notice something behind his neck it was sort of dry but pasty white material which I believe was semi-dry shampoo. I notice it was a rash building in that area. I immediately wash what I could cut the hair and wash again with towel and rub it down with rubbing alcohol. After drying him and such I placed neosporin on the rash to help it heal. I was wondering if by the pictures can anyone determine if its bad that I need to see a vet? Also could it be shampoo or something else b/c that is the location where I put his flea medicine on (near the area)

Edit: Also if it wasn't for giving him a rub I would of not known this existed so it is not itchy since he has not drawn attention to that spot by scratching it with his rear legs. Its basically located behind his neck.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated....
dried

wet
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Skin rash pictures should i be worried?

Post by Pinoy51 »

Definitely something a Vet should have a look upon.
Simba developed a similar spot when he was bit older than 3 month.
It turned out to be food related (wheat allergy) but there are many different reasons for rashes like this.
Flea bites, soap residues etc.
Let the vet check him out.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Skin rash pictures should i be worried?

Post by Rory's Dad »

Agree with Pinoy that you should have it checked, but based on the location and look, it may just be an irritation caused by his collar. Hope that is all it is.