Lots of water?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Razvan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lots of water?

Post by Razvan »

Greetings.

I'm Razvan and i'm 17 years old.
Few days ago (27.12.2012) we took a little Chow Chow in our family.
He offered us many reasons to smile and brought us together.

However, he seems to drink lots of water, and because he hasn't got all his shots yet, we can't take him out to do his needs (pee), so he goes almost everywhere.
I've seen he now goes and pees near the entrance door (we're living in an apartment) so i've set up a paper for him there.
Is it normal? My knowledge about dogs is minimal, but it's like 2am here and i'm still reading.
They are so fascinating! and i truly love my buddy Leo.
P.S. Is it normal for him to go 1/2 times at night to do his needs? I'm taking him from my room to the entrance hall by carrying him in my arms. (He's ~12 weeks old) I don't care if i'm not sleeping in holidays, but school will start, and then my parents will take care of him at night, if he still needs to go.

He'll get his last shot on 7.01.2013 as it is planned, and 14 days after that he'll get used to walking and taking needs outside. But till then, can you give me some advice on how to take care of him in the house, what should i avoid in order to keep him safe and healthy? Anything is appreciated.

I haven't owned any other pets before, so it's all new to me, so i'd like to know how much water should a 5kg beautiful Chow Chow should drink. Should i put a bowl of water in my room and teach him to eat here? or teach him to eat in the dinning room? Also, should I put a bowl of water where he sleeps (my room) too?

I've made an old drawer his bed where i put him, but he always goes out of it and lays down on the floor.. I'm guessing that happens because it's cooler there. The problem is that he keeps forcing air through his nose from time to time, like sneezing, and because of my minimal knowledge about them, everything makes me scared.

I'll keep reading so i'l be occupied untill i get an answer.
Thank you in advance!

- Razvan & Leo
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Lots of water?

Post by wokman »

A dog should drink no more than one liquid ounce of water for each pound of weight. Sorry, you will have to convert pound weight to parts of a Kilogram and liquid ounces to parts of a litre. A Puppy will do there needs more often until they can control their body. If they are using the papers you put near the door that is good, if not training may be more difficult. Put the food and water in a room not where they sleep, the dinning room may be good. Some Chows make noises like grunts or blow air out their nose when they do not like something. Ask the Veterinarian when your Puppy gets its shots about the nose blowing and anything else that concerns you. Keep us informed and send a picture if possible. :biggergrin:
Razvan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Razvan »

I'll do some calculations right away.

Would that ammount of water be for the whole day? ~0.4 litres after my calculations.

He was sleeping while forcing air through noise, so i don't know if anything was bothering him... he was on the floor (he hates his bed.. :D).
Also, he is scratching behind the ear pretty often, but the vet said that he's clean and has no external parasites.

Here's a picture of Leo.
**My apologies if the picture is too big.**
Regards -- Razvan & Leo
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Wow, what a nice looking pup...congrats.

My advice would be to always have water available to him. He will only drink what he needs. General rule thumb...he can hold his 'water' about 1 hour less than his age. So, if he's 3 months, expect him to need to go every 2 hours. At 6 months, about every 5 hours and so on.

If he cant be let out on his schedule, use the papers at the door he would normally go out. This gets him used to go to the door to signal he needs to go out.

Don't worry about the dog bed. He will find a spot where he is comfortable, not where you think he should be happy. As a Chow, he is probably finding a comfy spot where he can also guard the entry ways to yourself and your family. It's in their nature. Cooler spots are sure to come into it as well.

And he should be ok going out for normal walks. If he isnt done with shots, just don't let him linger and dig in the dirt/leaves. Keep him moving except to do business...