chow chow ears

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

DIESELPHOENIX
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow chow ears

Post by DIESELPHOENIX »

Hi everyone,

I am a new owner of a 4 month old male chow chow I am worried his ears are never going to stand up can anyone give me any advice as what to do... His ears are thick but in saying that they are soft.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: chow chow ears

Post by Sarahloo »

You can't do anything!!! Please don't try anything! How our Chows' ears turn out is not at all within our influence!
jonnywho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jonnywho »

My 3+ month old puppy has floppy ears and at first I saw it as a problem but I have now accepted that he will still be the same dog either way.
DIESELPHOENIX
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DIESELPHOENIX »

Thankyou for your replies, I won't do anything with his ears, I have been told its just a waiting game they will come up in due course.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I agree with everyone else, do nothing. If his ears come up like they should, good! But if not, love him anyways because it doesn't change who he is.

I've seen quite a few poorly bred chows with floppy ears, it happens, but their owners still love them.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
DIESELPHOENIX
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DIESELPHOENIX »

Hi everyone,

Well the waiting is over Diesel's ears are up @ 5 1/2 months. I had to put a collar on him to stop him chewing the base of his tail due to a hotspot :( and after 5 days his ears stood up I believe the plastic collar helped as he had to use his hearing because he couldn't fully see. As for his hotspot took him to the beach and let nature takes its course. The best thing I could have done... Ive also just bought a new chow chow a few weeks ago Phoenix.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Just to pipe in on this topic, because i have never experienced it myself, but i am shopping for a new pup. One of the females i am looking at showed drop ears in every photo the breeder showed me. i asked and the response was that some larger Chows ears take a bit longer to stand. She sent me photos of the puppies sire at 2 months and they were definitely down. As an adult, they are perfectly normal.

For what its worth...