help with UTI??

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nicoleirene
Rank 0
Rank 0

help with UTI??

Post by nicoleirene »

i noticed my chow has been potting quiet often today, she doesnt show any signs of pain but has potty'd in her bed (kennel) twice now. Its like she cant hold it and once she has to go she just goes, its a darker color than normal,(but no blood) i've heard this is a common infection in companion animals especially females, im taking her to the vet first thing in the morning, is there anything i can do to help her through the night??
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: help with UTI??

Post by chowpups »

Ahh, poor pup I hope it's not a UTI some can be tricky to clear for different reasons, some are crystals ( ph balance issuses some times), some stones, some bacteria.. The darker color urine could be blood, if you actually see blood that's called gross hematuria and if you can not see blood it called microscopic hematuria , so just because you don't see blood there actually could be blood in the urine ..especially if it's darker than normal or has an odor. There is not much you can do until the Vet tests to see what's causing it that I know of ,but do make sure she has water when she wants it. And take her out more often to potty. good luck, my chow had crystals and her ph was off and that is harder to clear than some of the other bacterial UTIs if you ask me.
Hope everything clears quickly..
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

UTI's and crystals ( especially if struvites) are very often a result of commercial dog food high in carbohydrates.
You may want to take a look at the food you are feeding and switch.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

yes, Merlin it was due to her diet but she was on that diet due to oral and nasal cancer ( and mouth surgeries etc)and at the end we couldnt get much into her so we had to deal with diet changes a lot the cancer made her teeth fall out so she was on a soft diet if she could even get that down at times. She did pretty good but there were set backs of course,
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Have you considered raw? It would solve many problems for you.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!