my new boy ^^

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sabi_o
Rank 0
Rank 0

my new boy ^^

Post by sabi_o »

Hi guys!

I just got my lovely black boy Ori a few days ago and have noticed that sometimes his heart beat is a little fast and that when breathing, he inhales quick, short breaths. I wouldnt say his breathing is laboured-just sounds like he's been exercising a lot even though he hasn't neccessarily. These things dont seem to bother him at all and he's constantly wagging his tail so i dont know whether its just more normal in puppies?? Is this normal in chows?
Also wanted to ask, do you guys recommend I have him neutered?? I've never had a chow before (though I've had a german shep and a rottweiler but both were girls) so i don't have experience with whether they cause lots of problems if not neutered. At the mo, i have no serious plans of using him at stud but i dont want to alter him in any way if its not neccessary...

thanks for any help!
:)
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: my new boy ^^

Post by Jdcell100 »

Of course have him neutered
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Simba is now 11months plus and not yet neutered. Reason is that his testicles haven't dropped yet. The Vet is monitoring and hoping they will still drop, otherwise we have to have a more invasive operation, which I hope to avoid.
The most annoying problem with a male in this age is the marking, he is living with five companions (two boys and three girls. Every vertical structure outside the living rooms get's a mark, every day! to ensure it is fresh.
Then later of course you will have the issues with him and a female in heat somewhere close etc. Our females are all spayed, so less stress for him. :lol:
I can only recommend to have him neutered when he is old enough for that procedure.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

neutering should be and obvious enough choice. its way better health wise to have it done unless you intend to show or breed.

as for the breathing sounds, probably just Chow chuffing. Similar to snoring, cat purrs, or most like tiger chuffs. Perfectly normal, and although not a common language, a form of communication.
sabi_o
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sabi_o »

Thanks for the advice guys :) its obviously better to have him neutered when he's old enough so i'll keep it in mind. And also many thanks for the info about the chuffing - Ori's breathing was fine last night and he slept soundlessly so maybe it was a one off (and I can cut back on being a paranoid new parent) :)