16 yr old chow pacing and whining after eating,HELP!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sassyjo10
Rank 0
Rank 0

16 yr old chow pacing and whining after eating,HELP!

Post by sassyjo10 »

My baby is going to be 16 in a few days and he isnt in good health. He takes a aspirin every other day and a joint/hip medication and calming pill daily.in the last couple weeks he has started pacing the floor and whining after he eats and he drinks a lot of water.He will go several days and not do this and then do it again. Tonight is bad he is pacing ,whining and yelping.Most of the time when he does this he will eventually throw up before he settles down.I dont want him to suffer but the vet just says he is near the end,when will I know when the end is? So upsetting,please help if u can.Thank You.
Zhuyos mom

Re: 16 yr old chow pacing and whining after eating,HELP!

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I'm so sorry... just found your post. I hope your pup is feeling better. It's definitely a credit to the way you raised, cared and loved your chow that its been able to live such a long life. My first instinct raised a bloat flag. But I remember a couple of nights before my Zhuyo passed, he had a mild stroke which your symptoms also mirrored. I do hope your fellows episode was just a little pang of aging and nothing serious. Bless your dear one. As for knowing when its time, I always believe they will tell you and you must give them the okay to take the journey because they will hang in there just for you. Their devotion to you is immeasurable.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

So sorry to hear about your Chows discomfort. I do not like the aspirin idea, it can cause stomach irritation that can lead to bleeding. Are you giving Duramax it is safer/better than Rymadril (may be miss spelled). Bloat will produce a swollen abdomen, firm to the touch and is life threatening often requiring surgery. An Ultrasound can be stressful, but can show abnormalities. Dogs often will try to hide their illness or injury, it is their survival instinct to avoid being seen as easy pray for predators. It is a difficult decision to make, but ending the suffering can be the kindest thing we can do.
I did this last year and will face it again in the near future with my two old friends. You will see, they will leave with the greatest of dignity. [-o| :x O:)
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

Hugs.. my girl in my profile pic I lost this year

I had to love her enough to let her go...she was also 16

I am sorry to hear that you are facing this as well but I agree, these beautiful babies go with magnificent dignity
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Aspirin is extremely, extremely hard on a dog's stomach, even coated aspirin, and if I were you I'd have a chat with my vet about using this as often as you are, because it's an ulcer waiting to happen, and that might be why there is sporadic pacing and whining after some select meals. The use of Aspirin has been vetoed for dogs for many years now.

It sounds like your dog is in a lot of pain sometimes. If the poor dog has an ulcer, then he's suffering. What you can do that is absolutely safe, is get the dog to eat a teaspoon of Bentonite clay before meals. At least you 'll coat the stomach with a natural product, and it will help heal any fissues/ulcers and it will also remove bacteria. You can get liquid bentonite clay at any health food store, and if you can only find that actual powder, just mix a spoonfull in with wet food or hambuger meat and give this to the dog before anything else. You may also want to discuss this with your vet. ( Any holistic vet will agree with what I'm saying here ) It's absolutely safe to use, it's natural from the earth, and is very very healing.

I would really question the use of aspiring though. Not good.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
sassyjo10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sassyjo10 »

thanks for all the replies,my baby boy (senior) died the next day,he was having heart failure,he had been sick for awhile and I just didnt want to let him go,but realized he was ready so I gave him the okay and he went peacefully after that. We will always love and miss him.We had a long life with him and he was a good boy for us.