Motionless

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chubbybiggie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Motionless

Post by chubbybiggie »

Hi, I am posting on behalf of my brother's chow chows.

Last night, one of the two chows my brother had started barking, letting my sister-in-law know that the other is sick. His name is Biggie, he just lay there motionless even with touch and call. My brother rushed Biggie to the vet but the vet said everything seems fine.

He didn't do any blood test or xrays yet. But in the mean time, has anyone dealt with a similar problem and can shed some light into the situation. My brother said he is doing fine today.. but better to be safe than sorry.

Please help..
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Motionless

Post by Sarahloo »

What a strange vet, who's not interested in finding out what is wrong with his patient or in making money.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Sounds like "Biggie", might have had a epileptic seizure ( which is not uncommon in chows).
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree with Merlin that a seizure is a possibility. Not enough info for certain, but consider the age of the dog and how much time the dog was not under direct view. My experience is limited to what are called Mal's Seizures. They can be caused by a tumor in the brain region. They do cause full muscle contraction and the inability of the dog to react normally for a period of time. Our 9 year old chow experienced this. Onset signs that we probably didnt recognize quickly enough we limited to a fairly constant irritation in the area of his ears. Lots of head shaking and a liquidy type sound coming from that area.

His 1st seizure left him unsettled and it took a bit for his recognition to come back. Each recurrence results in a longer recovery time and more uncertainty. Teddee's final episode took him well over 4 hours to recover from. He didnt recognize his family and was very aggressive. Luckily i was home with my 14 year old daughter that day.

Teddee was so aggressive that it took myself and the local animal enforcement officer to get him wrangled and to the vet. Prior to these episodes he was very sweet and loyal. I place no blame on the dog, but a medical condition that essentially disabled the reasoning portion of his brain. It was a very sad day, but there were no options. Neither medication nor surgery would have eased the pain of the seizures. They may have reduced their frequency, but would not stop them completely, and each one would escalate the recovery time.

I go into such detail because i would not want to see a family member hurt due to an episode and the recovery time that the dog might need. The seizures do completely drain a dog and leave them as you describe for a period of time.If it was a short time where nobody observed the dog, it might not be, but if longer, this should be considered. Think back on any behavior like i have described above and if it fits, discuss with a qualified vet.
Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hayley92 »

does your dog drink/urinate alot?
fitting can also be a result of hypoglycemia