Small lump on puppy's lower abdomen

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Small lump on puppy's lower abdomen

Post by gluesticks »

Hi,

Louie, my 13 week old puppy, has just newly acquired a small lump on his lower abdomen near his penis. I noticed it this morning while playing with him on the floor. I took a few pictures. The lump can be moved and feels kind of squishy and it doesn't seem to bother him at all when I touch it or move it around. I am aware that any type of lump should be seen by a vet, but even if I got an appt, it wouldn't be until Wednesday when I am off. He does have an appt on the 12th of November for his last round of shots. Is this something I should be concerned with? He has been licking it occasionally... -sigh- Is this what a small hernia looks like?

Just very stressed. I will be keeping a very close eye on it.

thank you.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Small lump on puppy's lower abdomen

Post by Sarahloo »

Could it be a runaway testicle? :? Testicles that aren't where they're supposed to be can turn cancerous. Or maybe just a testicle right on the way to where it's supposed to go? :)

Could just be erectile tissue developing. When the adult male is "exited", he can get two lumps right and left of the penis. Those lumps are not permanently there, though. But I guess they could be there all day long.

I've heard of a young Chow boy having a hernia down there. So I guess there's lots of things this could be. But there is a great chance of it being something utterly harmless-
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

Thank you for the response.

I did feel for his testes and to my knowledge, they both appear to be there. That was my first thought (a lost teste). Since it doesn't seem to be a horrendous problem, I will wait for his next scheduled appt. I'll continue to keep an eye on it regardless and see if it comes and goes or it remains. It's prob nothing, but its always better to be safe than sorry!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Are you in touch with the breeder? Maybe they could tell you something about the male puppies' development. I think at this age testicles can sometimes still move back and forth.
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

Yes, I am able to call/e-mail them at any time. I figured I'd aske everyone here first - wanted to make sure this wasn't a amateur question/concern first. We haven't had a puppy in a long time. Most of our dogs were adopted - all in which were about 2 years in age and fixed.
Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hayley92 »

Testes pass down the inguinal canals and these run closer towards the dogs back, would be very unusual to be on his belly like that, is the lump soft? Mobile?
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

I have seen pictures of veterinary photos that would indicate the possibility of a lost teste, which is why (besides a hernia) it was something I thought it could be.

Yes, the lump is very soft and mobile. It is still there (just checked a couple of minutes ago). He doesn't seem hindered by whatever it may be. Still eating, pooping, and playing normally. If it is anything, I did just enroll him into pet insurance and he does have an appt on November 12th. Any idea what it would be?
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

Well good news - the lump has disappeared!
Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hayley92 »

Thats good news! Might well of been an AWOL testicle but seeing as you said you could feel two decended made me think differently! Bring it up on his appointment and they might be able to shed light on it abit more as there are glands around the inguinal area