Nala has UTI

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Nala has UTI

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm a bit worried about Nala.
Today she started to pee more or less without interruption. Soon after that started, she vomited for the first time. This was like 6 hours ago. When I saw the little urine she peed turning dark I rashed her to the Vet.
I already concluded UTI and they confirmed it.
My concern is the vomiting. She had three episodes until now, 2nd after we arrived at the Vet in the car. I thought motion sickness, but now at home she did again after I brought her to the grass to pee.
Someone has experience with UTI combined with vomiting ?
Best regards
Pinoy51
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Nala has UTI

Post by wokman »

This is awful news.:shock: I had earlier posted a comment on your photos. I have had limited experience with UTI, but I know blood means the infection has advanced to the kidneys. My guess is the vomitting is a pain response, but there can be so many other reasons. Try this link for information on the basic symtoms of UTI and reasons for vomitting.

http://www.petMD.com/

I have been reading a number of owners having UTI problems, could it be not enough relief time for our neat and clean Chows. Not to blame your care taker, but you should maybe observe their behavior with the care taker at relief time. Chows can be embarrassed to go in front of some people I have found. I hope this problem can be resolved. :cry:
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi wokman,
thanks for the link very helpful !!!
It actually confirmed exactly my vets diagnosis and therapy.
What happened is off balance urine ph and crystal formation in the urinary tract. the crystals scraping along the urinary tract and causing the bleeding. Simple treatment 250mg of ascorbic acid every eight hours. I started last night, this morning she peed w/o blood and obviously less pain.
The UTI is most likely due to not enough water intake. I started to observe her drinking behavior closely and she has a tendency to let quite a lot of water run out of her mouth instead of swallowing. So even she stays at the water bowl longer than Simba, she doesn't actually consumes more water. So I have to figure out how to get 600ml water into the little girl every day besides the antibiotics she is now taking.
Vomiting is indeed a pain reaction acc. to the vet and the webpage. by the way, she is completely quiet even when she is in pain, I just observed her tail going down and the body forming an arc instead of straightening during peeing.
So pain and crying doesn't always go together. Oh she hasn't vomited anymore since the first intake of ascorbic acid.
Hope this helps other owners to diagnose the bloody urine properly. I was puzzled because the whole thing started out of nowhere. Luckily I wasn't in the office yesterday, so I spend the whole day with the Chowdren.
She was perfectly fine until about three pm, when she started suddenly peeing and vomiting, then the urine turned dark.
Thanks again also from Nala, I'm now confident I'm doing the right therapy for little girl. Btw, Simba is so cute, he is now watching over her but let her rest. No horse playing or bullying, he also "protected" her at the Vet. He had to be insight of her in the clinic and growled when the handler first took her leash for the entry examination.
Best regards
Pinoy51
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

My suggestion to increase water intake is start adding water to her food gradually. To much water at once might turn her away from the food. Maybe she has some physical characteristic that is not allowing her to lap up the water or maybe she has to learn how?
Tan (shortened member name) the prolific Poster in the U.K. is having similar problems as you may know. My Chow No. 2 had crystals in his urine near the end (age 12 Years) but there was no blood. My current Chows show a slightly higher PH in there urine; the Vet called them grass burners. :shock:
Use PetMD wisely and do not try to diagnose problems yourself, it is best for gaining an understanding of what the Veterinarian determines the problem is.
Simba is the perfect big brother. =D= I wish Nala a speedy recovery. O:) Keep Posting. @-)
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Nala, is already much better today, less peeing, no pain and tonight she and Simba had their ususal playtime together.
Stupid me, I had Simba for several month on kibbles with water, now since they like to share food I didn"t give Nala the same. So water in her food it will be from now on. Thanks again for reminding me.
Guess once she growth further it will easier for her to scoop enough water.
But overall I'm very pleased with her recovery.
Best regards
Pinoy51
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

They seem tough, but they prove to be fragile. They are Babies still and depend on their owner.
No time for illness; its play time again! \:D/ :D
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

That's true actually also for Simba I had to find the right combination of food, grooming
medication to get and keep him healthy. They're more fragile than my rescues but behave
like nothing can hurt them.
Nala is completely recovered. Just have to finish the prescribed medicine. We give her cold
water she drinks much more of it once its cold and her food contains water now. Average daytime temperature is 31 degree C right now in Manila
Best regards
Pinoy51