Emergency Room visit: Marru

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Emergency Room visit: Marru

Post by NanouetJon »

Last night I was getting a coffee around 9:00pm (decaf) and heard the sound of stomach pumping and quickly found Marru vomiting on the floor. This normally does not bother me. My chows have vomited from time to time because the ate some grass, licked a frog, did not take well to a medication. So as I went to grab a paper towel I saw Marru slowly slide down onto the floor and close her eyes.

OMG. Called my wife. Marru was so lethargic, just wanted to close her eyes and lay on her side. Did not have the energy to lift her head or wag her tail. Her breathing was shallow. We were scared. 5 minutes so by and she just wants to close her eyes, she was disorientated and very groggy. We decide to rush her the emergency clinic in town. We are very lucky here to have the University of Montreal, veterinary college about 8 minutes away. Called in route to tell them we are coming. She couldn't stand up and just wanted to stay laying down, even though my wife was opening and closing the front door. Now we know something was drastically wrong.

So I scoop her up and take her to the car, off we go!

As we arrive she is starting to come too and sits up in the car, once I arrive she hops down by herself and walk with my on leash. I am starting to breath again. We appears to be recovering.

She is examined and observed and it appears that it was simply a vomiting ( unknown, most likely ate something she didn't agree with) and the force of the vomiting cause her to drop her pressure. all the lethargy and shallow breathing are normal symptoms. The scanned her belly, blood test, and pressure tests. All is normal. I asked if I had over reacted and the vet was very clear, NO. This could have been alot of things and time is important. Her worse fear was BLOAT, hence the Xray. The best scenario was what happened. Just over exerted herself vomiting.

She came home with and all is well, I slept so lightly and was awake at each creak and chow snort, in case she was to vomit again. So her happy tail welcomed me this morning.

Thought I would share in case you every experience similar. Sharing is knowledge, and we can never have enough of that!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Emergency Room visit: Marru

Post by Cocoa »

So glad to hear that Marru is okay, that must have been terrifying for you. And thank you for sharing your experience with the forum. =D=
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Emergency Room visit: Marru

Post by Pinoy51 »

Thanks a lot for sharing, here in the Philippines we're not so lucky to have emergency clinics for pets.
So it is very valuable for me to able to assess any conditions of my Chowdren, as I have to wait several hours until my vet opens clinic.
I'm happy that Marru is okay. Must have been a scary experience.
Best regards
Pinoy51