Lump under his ears

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

davidshields
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lump under his ears

Post by davidshields »

Hello Everyone!

Im just a new member here and i need your expert opinion regarding my 4 month old chow. Heres the story, we were playing around outside when i noticed that under his ears theres two small lumps, one under his left and the other one on the right. The left one seems to be a bit larger. About the size of a ping pong ball and appears kinda hard and not to round if you know what i mean. I touched and tried to put pressure on it but i got no reaction from him. Looks like he's still acting normal after i touched it. We will be seeing his vet this coming Monday but im really bothered by this. Is it normal? Please please help me out with this. Thanks!
sugimoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Lump under his ears

Post by sugimoto »

Are these actual lumps where you see the skin? In that case, go to the vet. But if you're feeling the lumps around balls of fur, could be knots from your puppy itching behind their ears. Groomer could shave it off but I use the end tines of a pin comb to loosen the tangled mess apart.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

A lump the size of a Ping Pong ball is not normal. Good to hear you are going to the Vet. I hope it is matting as sugimoto says. Keep us Posted, praying for good news.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

could it be a hematoma? Has your pup been shaking his head or pawing at his ears alot? Some times the blood vessels rupture and cause a bubble like in the ear. My Oneill had one from an ear infection she shook her head so much she caused it to rupture. Its not that its so painful but annoying to the dog. The vet lanced it and stitched it up and put a cone on her head and she was good to go. It can happen from trauma too but mostly infections that cause the dog to rub his ears or shake his head.. (they do put them under anethesia ) not sure if this is what your pup has but its possible?
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

On on each side of his head. That doesn't sound worrisome to me, If he has a matching pair then it could just be his jaw bone or neck vertebra. Best to ask the vet.

My vet finds me funny with our questions, but appreciates the fact we know our dogs so well. Long before a problem is critical, we have felt, smelt or pinpointed it. We worried about weird bumpiness around the head and the vet said it was simply the skull and bones growing and that soon she would put on some weight and we would be hard pressed to find it. She was right.

The funniest was my wife was worried because because she found a spot on the underside that was void of hair and Maddoxx was sensitive to the touch, it was discolored to the rest of his skin. My wife was sure it was an infection or cancer tumor. The vet examined it and in a grave and formal tone, put her hand on my wife shoulders and said this (all with a straight face)

" I have bad new for you Mme. Corriveau, Maddoxx will never be able to give milk from this point forward, a nipple is inverting and the rest are shrinking to nubs. He will never feed puppies. ( Then she started smiling and almost laughing ) because Maddoxx is a boy and this is 100% normal. His nipples will be little sensitive and be sure to clean them, but this is all okay" Then we all had a good laugh.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Maddoxx's Dad is right best to ask a Vet when in doubt..Hope all is just fine, keep us posted.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

did you get to the Vets? Just wondering what it was? hope all is good?
lisachow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lisachow »

You may have had them many times in the past, but never noticed because you can’t see that area very often. Lumps behind the ear have a number of different causes and can come in a variety of different types.

Some lumps are negligible; others could be signs of more serious conditions. For the curious or the concerned, here is a guide to what can cause lumps behind your ear and how to treat them. http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/skin-care-articles/treating-lump-behind-ear
ancote
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ancote »

Three weeks back there was this small bump kinda of inflammation behind by ear. I checked it out with a doctor but has no help. The doctor suggested to use a hot bag for it. He was more like he had no clue what to tell me. The thing that frightened me was if it was a lymph node that was swollen but luckily wasn't.

Today, it's shrunk a lot. Still have no clue what caused it. There is this article I found which has table on the causes. Could be helpful guys.
http://www.belmarrahealth.com/lump-beh ... treatment/
ancote
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ancote »

Three weeks back there was this small bump kinda of inflammation behind by ear. I checked it out with a doctor but has no help. The doctor suggested to use a hot bag for it. He was more like he had no clue what to tell me. The thing that frightened me was if it was a lymph node that was swollen but luckily wasn't.

Today, it's shrunk a lot. Still have no clue what caused it. There is this article I found which has table on the causes. Could be helpful guys.

http://www.belmarrahealth.com/lump-behi ... treatment/