Non-stop Itching

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

konabear91
Rank 0
Rank 0

Non-stop Itching

Post by konabear91 »

I am new to this site and do not know much about my dogs as it seems many of you do. I have read many threads but can't find one to fit my poor Chow Chows situation. :(

I have two Chow Chows, a cream female (Kona) that is almost 2 years old and a blue male (Salem) that is 10 years old. Yesterday, while I was brushing Salem, I noticed a red rash on the bottom of his stomach, near his genital region. It looks like a scattering of red pimples. He doesn't have much fur down there, which is why I think I was able to notice it. It seems like ever since I have noticed the rash, he has itched like crazy! He only scratches near his armpits and under his belly. His fur and skin looks normal everywhere else. The worst part of this situation is I gave Kona a bath last night.. and used the same brush on her! #-o Now I have two very itchy dogs! She doesn't have a rash on her but the way and places that she itches is exactly the way Salem does.

Salem loves to go outside and nap in the same spot on the grass, which is now dirt because he lays there so often. We have a rather large fenced in backyard so he goes in and out as he pleases without the worry that he will get loose. Kona is the exact opposite and likes to be inside all day. She will only lay on the back porch cement, never the grass. We recently got a new rug for our living room so I'm wondering if he could be allergic to the material. Or maybe the spot of dirt he loves to lay on is starting to irritate him? Both dogs have been eating the same type of food for months now. They have also been given flea medicine so I'm not sure what it can be. :( I know I will likely end up at the vet to find out what is going on but I have to wait until my husband is off work next Tuesday. Until then, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! It kills me to see both babies like this.
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Non-stop Itching

Post by P.R. Bear »

I recently had to take my smooth collie to the vet for what I though was a rash on his belly. It turned out to be impetiago, (hope I spelled it right). The vet put him on antibiotics for 10 days and it cleared right up. I asked him if it was contagious because we have 2 other dogs and he said no, but my son used to get impetiago when he was young and in humans it is extremely contagious. Hmmmm? If you have tried using antibiotic cream on your pups and it's not working, you really want to get them to the vet.