Need to have an Operation done to Our female chow

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Need to have an Operation done to Our female chow

Post by kitten1426 »

Well we noticed our 21 month old female Chow was limping the other day and also she was walking kinda funny..so we took her to the vet and they took X-rays and we found out she has Bad hip Dysplasia, So they recommend a speicalist to take a look at her well he said she has bad arthritis and hip dysplasia and would need to be operated on..The procedure is called Femoral Head Ostectomy surgey its actually were they remove the ball a socket of the hip and let the muscles strengthen and supports her...Anyone hear of this???....Anyone here have it done? She is going to have the surgey done on Oct 8th and its a long recovery from there 8-12 weeks of alot of walking to strengthen her muscles so she can be back to normal..Which he says she will be after this is done...Its freaking us out but i know we need to do it..she is pain and we dont want her to have to suffer with it....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Need to have an Operation done to Our female chow

Post by Victory »

I've heard of it, and many on this site have had to have it done. The recovery is the worst because they have to be carefully walked and then walked a bit more. With your four rampunctious males this will make it harder on her as she'll want to be with them. You'll probably get more answers from chow folks who have had to go through it.

This is the reason careful breeding needs to be done...well one of them.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P.R. Bear »

It's a common procedure for hip dysplasia. Our first Golden had it in both hips. We opted for the TPO, (triple pelvic ostiotomy). With that procedure they actually break the pelvis and use a metal bracket to line the ball and socket up. Something you may want to check into. The surgeon suggested this procedure due to the size of our dog. If my memory is correct, I think with the FHO, you should exercise your dog right away. With the TPO, our poor pup was confined to his kennel for 8 weeks.

I'm sure your girl will come through with flying colors! I'll be thinking about her.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

P.R. Bear wrote:It's a common procedure for hip dysplasia. Our first Golden had it in both hips. We opted for the TPO, (triple pelvic ostiotomy). With that procedure they actually break the pelvis and use a metal bracket to line the ball and socket up. Something you may want to check into. The surgeon suggested this procedure due to the size of our dog. If my memory is correct, I think with the FHO, you should exercise your dog right away. With the TPO, our poor pup was confined to his kennel for 8 weeks.

I'm sure your girl will come through with flying colors! I'll be thinking about her.

Thank you so much,,He said due to her size she was ok to go with the FHO surgey..she is about 50ish lbs if she was heavier then they mite have to do another type of surgey...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

Our Vet removed the ball on the hip of one of our rescues that had been hit by a car. She had a break in that area and since she was also around the 50lb weight. We recently heard from the people that adopted her and the said she is doing great.
You might want to ask about using suppliments for the arthritis. Two of my Chows (they were older) had arthritis and I took them for acupuncture.
Thank you sweetpea!!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Well we do give all our dogs Supplements but she probablly had this issue young we didnt start giving them to all of them until a few months ago...The Vet said it wouldnt have mattered anyway she had bad hips since young looking at the x-rays due to the damage done..She goes in Oct 8th fingers crossed she comes out of the surgery just fine and is on a long road to recovery...
Conrad's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Conrad's Mom »

Please tell me how that all went for you. My 4,5 month chowling has just had it done. The baby had an accident sometime in the two nights I left him with a minder to get married. The minder 'saw nothing and knows nothing'. Horrible!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Hi - Kodi and Mia's mom here... ;o) Usually Dad's online.

I just replied to the post you started about a week or so ago - It's a nice long read :o) Mia's doing great - Hopefully Conrad will do just as well! Keep us all posted!