Is it normal for 8week chow pup to wee so much

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is it normal for 8week chow pup to wee so much

Post by Tan160581 »

If I take my pup out for 10 mins she do like 6 wees I was a bit shocked as my dog will do a wee and then that is that . Anyway had my mum over we outside for 30 mins and my mum said maybe has a urine infection I did mention she drinks a lot of water but in 30 mins we counted and she went 12 times is that normal she eats royal canin biscuits with warm water on advice of breeder 3 x a day to eat
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is it normal for 8week chow pup to wee so much

Post by Sarahloo »

Definitely not normal! Your dog needs to see a vet asap! Excessive drinking is also a warning sign!
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I too would suggest a trip to the vets, my breeder also told me to use Royal canin, but me being me I changed that as soon as was humanly possible.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Going to vets tomorrow is royal canin not so good I thought it was as that is what breeders and my vets ESP say I's the best
My cats are on raw and I heard that best option for dogs to what do u think your chows and chow puppy's x
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I would deginitely get your baby checked for a urine infection. It is not uncommon when puppies go to their new homes for them to get urine infections and upset tummies and in some ways it is best to continue the breeders food till they settle in and then look at changing to a better brand.

Vets mostly get their nutrition training from the pet food companies and many (but not all by any means) breeders use the cheaper brands as breeding puppies does not make anyone very much money so that is a corner they can cut. Look for a large puppy food which is the best you can afford....with no maize, corn or wheat and no yeast as these can all agravate the skin and cause hot spots.

When you find one make sure it has a good source of protein and as few uneccessary aditives as possible.

Chicken or lamb and brown rice with vegetables and herbs is an ideal mix.

Post your possible choices here and most people will have an opinion :D

I hope your baby feels better soon.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Like Sirchow said, the vast majority of vets get their nutrition advice from big commercial food companies and will readily accept their word as gospel, shame as a lot of silly problems can be alleviated by a good food. There are excellent foods out there that are not advertised to death on the tv. I personally do not think vets should be allowed to endorse foods in their surgeries, we put a lot of faith in our vets and I just wish they could take an honest look at the foods and not just blindly let the companies fill surgeries with posters and stickers. A lot of vets offices look like billboards!!!!
OK rant over lol. Seriously though if you are happy with a raw diet for your cats then it should be as beneficial to your Chow.