Bone Disease?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

squintero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bone Disease?

Post by squintero »

It seems as though my beautiful 10 month puppy has some unknown bone disease that is causing her bones in her left leg/ paw to deteriorate.

I took Juliette to the vet about 4 months ago for a slight limp. The vet said she may have irritated her leg and gave her tramadol to take over the course of a few days.
Juliette appeared to be fine for a few weeks but the limp began again. I took her to her regular vets office but he was on vacation so I spoke with his "fill in" vet. He said she appeared to be in good condition and of course Juliette was no longer limping.
Fast forward another few weeks and Juliettes "ankle" had swelled up and she would not put any pressue on her left paw. I immediately took her to the 24hour Animal ER where they sedated her and took xrays. The vet said it appeared to be a hairline fracture. I took the xrays and brought them to her regular vet the next day, he agreed with the diagnosis and put a splint on her.
Juliette had the splint on for about 4-5 days before she chewed it off (yes, she figured out a way to chew it off even with the cone on.. she is a determined one)
Unsatisfied with the previous vet and the ER vet I decided to bring Juliette to a new office.
She was again sedated and new xrays were taken.
This time the xrays showed her condition had worsened and it had spread into her left paw. I saw the films and it appears as though her bones are literally "melting" in to one another. Imagine candle wax.. that is what the images look like.
The vet said it looked like it may be an infection that has gotten into her bones or bone cancer. He suggested her films be reviewed by a radiologist.
The radiologist said no to the Big C (thank goodness) but could not offer anymore input without doing full bloodwork and having a biopsy done on a fragment of her bones.

I, of course, have an appointment scheduled for both procedures to be done. I fear, however, that this is something that is not going to be cured. I can't imagine how something that is making my puppies bones break and something that has already spread isn't going to spread into her other bones.

I am hoping for the best and I want my dog to have a long healthy life. I love her, she isn't even a year and when you get a dog you imagine having them for whatever their life expectancy is. I imagined having her for 10-15 years. I feel guilty because I am preparing for the worst... or atleast trying to.
I will do anything in my power to care for and save my puppy. But I fear that this is something I cannot control.
I am spending a lot of money which I don't really have to spend to make sure my girl receives the best care and treatment that she needs.
I have read that dogs don't show that they are in pain because it is a survival instinct. She seems like a happy puppy and she runs and plays but she just wont walk on her left leg.

I am not sure why I am even writing this ... It isn't really a question.. i guess I just need to tell someone what I am thinking and feeling.
I am sad for her and I wish I could just make her better.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Bone Disease?

Post by Sarahloo »

That is very sad! Maybe she can get a cast for her left leg so it can heal properly? Can dogs have brittle bones disease? Maybe her bones break easily? Maybe food supplements might help, like what old people take for osteoporosis, to make the bones stronger?
I would try not to excite her, to just live slowly and calmy, take everything away that might put her at risk of hurting herself more, no stairs, no nothing, just calm living and happy walking around sniffing everything intensely. The best food, nice treats, lots of cuddles, just living every day to the fullest.
You should alert her Texan breeder to her condition, just in case she cares! You never know! She might stop breeding with Julie's mom. Maybe her siblings have also been affected and their owners have some wisdom to share with you or you with them!
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I feel sad too. I hope Juliette will be okay. I agree with Sarahloo that you might look into food supplements, and possibly even changing the food she eats. Good luck.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

My heart is aching for you and Juliette. I really don't have any input or suggestions to offer. Just fingers and paws crossed here that the vet will figure out what the problem is and hopefully be able to come up with a remedy.

Please keep in mind - If and when you feel you need to just talk, share your thoughts, feelings and fears we are all here for you.

Please keep us updated.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you a big warm, comforting hug.

Take Care
Pam
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Sarahloo has a good suggestion to contact the breeder and through them connect with any of the siblings owners if they have seen the same problem, so you can net work for solutions. O:) [-o|
squintero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by squintero »

Thank you all for your responses. Juliette is scheduled for her blood work and biopsy on Friday.

I did contact her breeder which ended up being unhelpful. She said she hadnt had any health issues in the thirteen years she has been breeding.

I am hoping for good news. Juliette is such a sweet girl.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Iam hoping you get some answers soon, thoughts and prayers for the best..I know not knowing is hard to deal with too! It took almost a year to get proper answers with Nikki ..
Hugs to you Juliett!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Sad to hear that. How is Juliette now? I hope she gets better
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Chows have a lot of medical issues because of selective breeding for the past decades. We are not even sure if your breeder is telling you the truth because normally, they won't admit it. Hope the deterioration stops. Bones rebuild themselves in such manner as our skins when we bruised them, they heal- albeit with scar tissues. bones are the same.
squintero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by squintero »

Juliette is doing fine. She plays as if nothing is wrong. When we go for walks she runs around and chases squirrels. I feel guilty because I was told to limit her mobility so I don't take her on long walks (which she enjoys very much)
I believe my puppy is happy. She bounces around and runs throughout my apartment ... She must not know she is hurt.

I am waiting for the results of the biopsy and bloodwork. I have my fingers crossed for good news. I know everyone here are proud chow parents but my Juliette really is a special pup. She is the sweetest thing.

Thanks for all your comments and concern. I will keep you updated.