3 month old chow teething question (double canine teeths!)

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cypruschowchow »

Hi all,

I have a very smart and lovely puppy chow (3 month old) and we have a bit of a problem (or maybe quite natural?). The two of the front 4 canines are all temporary teeth but two of them have two new tooth coming out from their behind!!..I always thought the new tooth will push the old one up and get rid of the temporary teeth first then come out. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this with their chow?..Thank you so much in advance :)
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 3 month old chow teething question (double canine teeths

Post by Rio »

Dogs do not lose teeth like humans, whilst we can adapt our diets around a lost tooth while the new one is comin in, dogs can't. Dogs look like sharks (two rows of teeth) for a while until the new tooth is capable of chewing food or in the wild, ripping through flesh. On the rare occasion that the baby tooth does not fall out a trip to the vet can easily rectify the situation.
It does look quite funny for a while, but the baby tooth should fall out either onto the floor (where it usually ends up stuck to your foot!!!)or the dog will swallow it.
cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cypruschowchow »

Thank you so much. So nothing to worry about I guess..I will wait and see :)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Haven't seen it in my dogs. They tend to loose the milk teeth and then grow the permanent ones. Guess yours is just a rare one but nothing to worry about.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Simba had it exactly the same way. Actually I removed one of the baby teeth, as he kept licking vigorously for several minutes.
I saw the new tooth behind the baby tooth pushing out and the baby tooth was dangling just attached still to a little piece of gum tissue.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Nothing to worry about at that stage. If the permanent tooth doesnt come in directly under the puppy tooth, it may hang (literally) out for a bit. You could try a dental type chew toy to speed the process, but otherwise nature will take its course. Rory lost most of his during puppy play time at our local pet store. They always seemed to turn up in the rough of his playmates, and worried everyone when they were accompanied by a bit of blood.