Nails and *Censored Word* Gland..

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Nails and *Censored Word* Gland..

Post by trry »

Hello,
I didn't know whether to put this in grooming or health but I opted into Health since its kinda urgent...

Nail:
My chow is bleeding from his nails. I don't think his nail were cracked but lately we've been taking him longer walks and more frequently. it looks like the concrete is filing his nails down to its hitting the nerves. Am I delusional to assume this or this is actually happening? Because I saw last night it was raw but saw it wasn't bleeding but I cleaned it and wiped it down with alcohol. So this morning assuming the nail cracked and he should be fine for a walk and I notice during the walk he was bleeding so its as if the concrete is filing his nails down, no? Or was it the excess walking cause it to burst?

Edit added pictures.

*Censored Word* Gland:
Does chow needs this to be clean or my friend told me pumpkin diet will clean it out just fine?

The nail issue is major any advice on that?
Thanks!
Last edited by trry on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Nails and *Censored Word* Gland..

Post by Hugo »

Hi,
Can't offer advice on the *Censored Word* gland,(I'm assuming that's what you meant). In regard to the nails, yes it could be the concrete, is it possible to walk on grass for a while, till the nails mend then alternate between concrete and grass. I have heard that if you rub a cake of soap over the nails will stop the bleeding. That's all the advice I can give, sorry.
I do believe once it's bleeding though, it is painful as the nerve is exposed.
Hope a more expereinced Chow person can help more.
Good luck.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Can't offer advice on nails other than pretty much what Hugo said, try to walk on grass until nails are healthy again, maybe go to the vets to make sure nothing else is causing the bleeding.

A dogs *Censored Word* gland is like a trash bin, it only usually fills up when there is a medical reason or something in the diet is not suitable.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Cant say for sure, but the nails look to be trimmed to closely. It could be the concrete rubbing it down, but i think those would be some pretty long, aggressive walks.

Its a tough balance. My dog has very straight hinds and almost walks tippy toe, so they need to be kept shorter, but his fronts are flat. We have wood floors in the house, so every time he reacts to a door opening or a noise, he skitters for at least 5 steps before he gets moving (think cartoon).

I would definitely allow some time for the nails to grow out. Agree that walking on softer surfaces for now is a good idea.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Rory's Dad wrote:Cant say for sure, but the nails look to be trimmed to closely. It could be the concrete rubbing it down, but i think those would be some pretty long, aggressive walks.

Its a tough balance. My dog has very straight hinds and almost walks tippy toe, so they need to be kept shorter, but his fronts are flat. We have wood floors in the house, so every time he reacts to a door opening or a noise, he skitters for at least 5 steps before he gets moving (think cartoon).

I would definitely allow some time for the nails to grow out. Agree that walking on softer surfaces for now is a good idea.

The chow hasn't gotten his nails trimmed for 2 months+ since it was looked like it was getting shaved down which is why i thought it cracked but looking at it closer it looks like all his nails were getting shaved down. So I have been trying to put it under control by washing it, disinfecting it, and applying the blood clog item. If this doesn't get better with a new pair of shoes or on the grass more often I might need to see a vet... Also i don't think it a nail issue since I am looking at his back paw which look perfectly fine.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Guess your hunch with the nail is right. It shouldn't happen because of the natural structure of a dog's toes and the toe pads. My advice is to put some antibiotic cream you have after cleaning them with soap and water. If you dont have such cream or ointment, go buy one. These can be bought up from the first aid section. Povidone Iodine solutioon is also ok. As for the alcohol, I would say, if you really have nothing but alcohol then you can use that to disinfect.
Observe his nails when walking him so you will see if the toe pads are all buried in the concrete and not doing what they should. The nails shouldnt be filed away unless they run around. I DONT clip the nails of my doggies because they walk on concrete floors. I dont find it necessary to nail clip due to that fact.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Cam Atis,
I don't think its his paw hitting the floor. It looks like he is dragging his paw as he walks. the more shave down area is more towards the front top area than it being on the bottom. I will need to get him shoes since we have so much pavement and the closest park is driving distance. Any suggestions there? Oh yeah does it look bad that I need to take to a vet or wait?

Thanks!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

trry wrote:If this doesn't get better with a new pair of shoes or on the grass more often I might need to see a vet... Also i don't think it a nail issue since I am looking at his back paw which look perfectly fine.
Don't put your dog's paws into dog shoes at this time. It can worsen the situation.
With "nail issue" did you mean nail disease? I dont think it is a nail disease. It just got filed way too close to your dog nail's quick thus it bled.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Oh dragging his toes does explain the look on his nails where the blood is up front. Anyway, dragging has the same effect of shaving the dead nails and exposing the QUICK. Just apply the antibiotic cream to protect him from possible infection courtesy of the opportunistic pathogens as we call them. Do you have Terramycin ointment, that we use with kids when they got their knees scraped. You can use that. Or Bactroban ointment or cream.
What's blood clog item. If it is for the wound, use it. I dont think that is a vet emergency. It should heal fine. The shoes will encourage more bacteria to grow so better leave it off. Remember, the wound is an opening to the body so these bacteria can go inside the body via that opening. Putting on cream or ointment will block such entry for hours until the barrier is removed by wiping or washing.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

The blood clog item I got is "21st century Styptic powder" Any advise in how to let the claw heal? I will put him the backyard until then but there is still some pavement back there. And any recommendations on shoes? his front paw are substantially bigger than his rear paws.

Thanks!

Edit: wow the chow just scared me as I was typing a reply he was staring at me in the dark. I guess he wanted to clear what the keyboard clicking was about. Also he definite seems to be dragging his paw, we have hardwood floor and in between the panels there are mini gaps I heard it click as he walked to his spot he sleeps in my room. Clicking sound as if the nail hit the gap between the wood panels.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Well at the moment i did a early morning pharmacy run and got him some cream and first aid bandages and wrap his paw in it till it gets better.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

:mrgreen: i remember thru your over concern when I was 21 and had my first dal. I was just like you when
Ever i clipped her nails too close and it bled. I used to clip her nails until I noticed when she was on pavement at 9 months that I dont need to clip or file anymore as the concrete filed away her nails to perfection.
Blood clog is a necessary first aid since you said it is a styptic powder. His nails will heal in a couple of days.unless it he will have fresh ones. I learned they just heal quickly and no need to worry. \:D/
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Catis,
Yeah he is my first chow and i worry about this dude..... he kept on waiting to go outside since he had diarrhea which forced me to clean his nail 100x times. So I made an appointment with Vet at 2pm today ~4 hours from now should i cancel it and wait it out?

I know i am very cautious but i might be over doing it

Thanks!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

:D you can go to the vet and bring the things you are applying so the vet can tell you which to stop' which to continue based on his assessment. You can ask him what you should do if such happen again. I learned a lot with my first dalmatian from my vet. I went drop by their clinic if Cookie hadn't eaten a lot in two days, or if she had a slimy stool, and I tell you I learned a lot from them, but they sure are happy to help me out. Sometimes no fee involved on simple advises as they became my friends.
Go bring him to the vet and ask about the shoes also or band aid. Listen carefully and dont be shy to ask questions.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Have his weight assessed as well.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Catis,
Thank you for all your feedback but after further investigation my mom which takes him on walks informed me that she pulls on him which is probably the cause of the nail being shaved off... kinda a lot of it being shaved and she isn't a very strong women but I have opted into waiting till the Saturday to see if it gets worse or better. So right now i am keeping his paws clean inside and yard only and wrapped up. He is finally sleepy...

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hahaha. Sure you are welcome. I know where you are coming from.
Poor boy got red bandages on his front paws. Is he comfortable with the bandages?
Anyway, remove it once 48 hours have passed as I am sure the body has put a stop on the opening and blod clots have formed already.